Thread: Get your a** out there!

Get your a** out there!

For the newly injured and their families. What I have learned after 20 years with a spinal cord injury is that you must give your life purpose. Sometimes it's as easy as breaking a sweat. I have discovered that simply challenging yourself physically will empower your mind and spirit.
    It is important to feel important!
    Let me share a few things that make me feel important: check out ridetherockies.com (I have met this challenge 5 years in a row). Skiing the double blacks in Crested Butte also empowers me (go to adaptivesports.org for a little inspiration).
    I have plenty of suggestions and will happily share them with you if you need a kick in the pants to get out there. Tell me what makes you feel important...

I'm almost 40 years post SCI from transverse myelitis when I was 11 years old. I am incomplete and was able to to lots of things when I was younger. Mostly offroad motorcycle riding.... even though I have never walked all that well. I adapted as best I could and substutired a dirt bike for my legs.

I was pretty active until about 15 years ago and just started slowing down. Not really able to ride dirt bikes anymore. Walking not as well either.

Never really considered adaptive sports until a couple of years go. What a change for me. I'm in better shape, physically and mentally.

I know this does not hold true for everyone, but for me, being active outdoors feeds my sole. It is something that I cannot explain.

My advice. If you like physical activity and being outdoors, get involved in adaptive sports if at all possible. If outdoor or physical activity is not your thing, fine, it is not for everyone.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Hi My395. I didn't get an injury until I was 63. I think, as others, that my survival may have been due to regular, swimming and gym visits. It did not stop the aneurysm, but I came through on unfavourable odds.

Since injury I do as much yoga as is physically still possible, with deep breathing, and go twice a week to the gym. I have certainly improved my strength and am reasonably optimistic.

Here in the UK, we have a trust called Backup, and I went on a course this summer, which included canoeing and zip wire etc. It was great.

ten years post, I go outside just to go outside. do tie dye on nice days, raking leaves, triking, or just soaking up some sunshine. if you get outside regularly depression is less mean.