Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: New member involved in advocacy

  1. #1

    New member involved in advocacy

    Hi. I am a new member. I devote much of my time to SCI non profit work as well as legal advocacy. I am always interested in feedback (or venting) from fellow travelers with SCI.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Baldwinsville, N.Y.
    Posts
    650
    Welcome,
    It is always great to have legal advice on this site too. If you ever want to chat, my email is joemonte@nep.net. Take care

  3. #3
    First I'd like to thank Joe for his constant kind works regarding my project, StemCells&AtomBombs.
    Next I would like to ask Number1Advocate if he/she would be interested in volunteering on my project.

    I write a blog and I hope that at some point in the very near future, it will focus on moving people towards some activity.

    You can see my blog:
    in English at www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com
    in Japanese at www.Kansaibo-Genbaku.blogspot.com
    in Italian at www.CelluleStaminalieBombeAtomiche.blogspot.com

    and it's ready to go in the very near future in Romanian, German, French, and Russian. My goal is to get all the G20 languages.

    Maybe I got my head up my a** but as you can see, I'm really trying to make sure that Stem Cells and a cure for SCI is truly a global effort.

    Volunteering could be anything, and I would love to hear your ideas in how we can move from me talking on a blog to a cure.

    Dennis

  4. #4
    Senior Member Van Quad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,558
    I admire anyone who tackles advocacy on such a huge scale. I volunteer on a one-to-one basis with new peers and find I don't have the energy for advocacy. Best of luck.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    I admire anyone who tackles advocacy on such a huge scale. I volunteer on a one-to-one basis with new peers and find I don't have the energy for advocacy. Best of luck.

    Who are these "new peers" and where do you find them? Or do they find you? I am also interested in advocacy and outreach to the newly injured but running into many roadblocks.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Van Quad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,558
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    Who are these "new peers" and where do you find them? Or do they find you? I am also interested in advocacy and outreach to the newly injured but running into many roadblocks.
    I participate in the education sessions at our local spine rehab hospital GF Strong. I belong to BC Paraplegic Association peer program. They helped me so much back in the day, it's a pleasure to give back . It's made me realize the impact of spinal cord injury on a whole circle of family and friends, not only the person injured.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    I admire anyone who tackles advocacy on such a huge scale. I volunteer on a one-to-one basis with new peers and find I don't have the energy for advocacy. Best of luck.
    Do you have the energy to wear a bracelet?

  8. #8
    Sharon, find a cause no matter how small that you believe is making a difference and invest your time and energy in providing support. Trust me, I have invested significant resources, both time and money, in the causes I support. It is much harder (and more meaningful) to give your valuable free time to the charitable cause of your choice. It might be volunteering at the local rehab or VA hospital or helping out at a handcycle race, etc..
    Here are a few I am involved with: adaptivesports.org and ushandcycling.org.
    Just get out there!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by number1advocate View Post
    Sharon, find a cause no matter how small that you believe is making a difference and invest your time and energy in providing support. Trust me, I have invested significant resources, both time and money, in the causes I support. It is much harder (and more meaningful) to give your valuable free time to the charitable cause of your choice. It might be volunteering at the local rehab or VA hospital or helping out at a handcycle race, etc..
    Here are a few I am involved with: adaptivesports.org and ushandcycling.org.
    Just get out there!
    Believe me, I have no shortage of causes. Have worked and volunteered for homeless community for years. After my son became injured I found my cause in the SCI community, I am determined to help other families that may expereince the nightmare I went through. Unfortunately locally I am not getting much support...do not fret, Im not one to go away quietly.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Van Quad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    5,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    Do you have the energy to wear a bracelet?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 11:25 AM
  2. How involved are you?
    By Love in forum Life
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 06:19 PM
  3. how can I get involved in 4AP ?
    By ~Patrick~ in forum Cure
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-12-2002, 02:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •