Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72-hour window of hope for paralyzed Rutgers football player passes without any news

72-hour window of hope for paralyzed Rutgers football player passes without any news

72-hour window of hope for paralyzed Rutgers football player passes without any news
    By: TOM CANAVAN
    Associated Press
    10/20/10 1:40 PM PDT

PISCATAWAY, N.J. — The 72-hour window of hope has come and gone for paralyzed Rutgers football player Eric LeGrand without word on whether he has had any feeling or movement below his neck.

Coach Greg Schiano had no medical update on LeGrand's condition after the team practiced on Wednesday, the fourth day since the junior defensive tackle was paralyzed from the neck down making a tackle on a kickoff return against Army on Saturday afternoon.

Some doctors believe if a person who sustained a spinal cord injury does not have some feeling or movement within 72 hours, there is little chance of recovery.

Schiano is adamant in his belief LeGrand will walk again.

To honor their teammate, Rutgers players have put a sticker on the front of their helmets with the word "believe."

"When they look at it, they will see it," Schiano said of the sticker.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/sports/72-...#ixzz12xY3K4eo

In my opinion, the "72 hr window" is very misleading. Many people, including myself, were considered complete at 72 hrs and wound up being very incomplete. I am now Asia C with movement, bowel and bladder.

I believe Christopher Reeve was considered complete at 72 hrs and had a good amount of return.

Only time will tell.

Jim, you say Christopher Reeve had a good amount of return. As far as I know, he was lucky to waggle a finger. Unless Im mistaken, and I very well could be, your Idea of good return and mine differ greatly!!

Quote Originally Posted by malthouse View Post
    Jim, you say Christopher Reeve had a good amount of return. As far as I know, he was lucky to waggle a finger. Unless Im mistaken, and I very well could be, your Idea of good return and mine differ greatly!!
    Sensation returned throughout most of Christopher Reeve's body according to what I read.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Much less than 72 hours are considered the "golden hours" when certain medications that are available today can have some effect. Did LeGrand have any access to the golden hours drugs? Are they real?

GJ

Sorry a lil off topic but come December will mark 2 hrs since my accident and initially I was complete and just found out through an ASIA exam 2 weeks ago that I am now Incomplete. So I went from T10 AsIa A to T11 ASIA C. I can't find any info on what to expect or anything. I do a lot of Activity Based Recovery work. I know I will just stay with working hard but am curious to hear some stats if there are any, or personal experiences.

malthouse,

I believe it to be good return because he was able to breathe on his own for an hour, and eventually feel the touch of his loved ones. These improvements make life much more bearable to someone with such a high injury.

That is great Lyerly

Two disciplines to remember: Sensory and motor. Generally, increased sensation (hot/cold, pin prick/cotton ball) can lead to increased motor function (nerve innervation, i.e. move a finger). There are always exceptions to the rule but my experience and understanding: more sensory, more motor. Less sensory, less motor.

Malthouse, yes, you're right when comparing functionality, i.e. movement. Christopher's injury, which sounds similar in cervical level to this young man's, resulted in very little motor (is a voluntary finger wiggle indicative of good/increased motor?) function. Purists and scientists may have considered this progress but to those of us suffering daily with cervically induced paralysis, at least from what I understand from your post, no, Christopher didn't have motor skills that were considered indicative of independent care, activities of daily living, etc. Jim is right though, i.e. breathing (being weaned off of the ventilator). Chris was making good progress in this regard prior to his death.

Hard to tell what the future holds for this young man but the statistics based upon his recovery or lack thereof thus far, are not in his favor.

Does anyone know if his family is from NJ? Will he be going to Kessler?

Onward and upward,

Chris

Yea Chris, exept one thing. Chris didn't have stem cell theray yet. It's a new day and things are acheiveable that wen'rnt then. We 've got to beleve.

We learned early on that breathing, speaking and eating were more important than walking.
    When those things are taken away and there is a possibility of not regaining them priority and hope changes.
    I wish my spouse had more, but we are grateful for what he has.