Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Advice - is this a pressure sore?

Advice - is this a pressure sore?

Since Sunday there is this thing on my bum. It bled a tiny bit, but is now dry since I've stayed in bed since Sunday.

Does this look like a pressure sore? I know I did a terrible transfer out of the car on Saturday, so maybe it's a knock?

It's on the right bum cheek, right where I'd sit on it. It's about half a centimetre in diameter, and slightly raised. It doesn't feel rock hard, and feels the same temperature as the rest of my skin.

A closer picture. These pictures were both taken in the same session tonight.

I can't tell K. I hope the nurse looks at this, either way it looks like a nasty sore to me. I just got two spots to heal on my right foot. I think I got them staying up day and night with the neuro pain until the stuff from the pain clinic started working. I was'nt laying down at all, now I go to bed.

Be careful and get it checked out if you are'nt sure.......

Blog Entries
    I'd say that it's an incipient sore. I had one like that and one day the skin broke. I started taking care of it, but it got bigger and bigger. 5 months later I was in the hospital, and ultimately had a flap surgery. What I *should* have done was stay off it for as long as it took to clear up. I've had one similar since then, and a week in bed cleared it up. Good luck!
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Yes, if it is right over your ischial bone, it should be considered a pressure ulcer. Can you feel the ischium directly under this lesion?

Keep all pressure off it. It could take days or even weeks to fade. Sitting on it now could cause it to break open. Don't use a dressing unless you get drainage, and avoiding putting any ointment or solutions on that spot. Eat your protein and keep up your fluid intake. If you are not already taking a multivitamin, start one.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    I can't tell K. I hope the nurse looks at this, either way it looks like a nasty sore to me. I just got two spots to heal on my right foot. I think I got them staying up day and night with the neuro pain until the stuff from the pain clinic started working. I was'nt laying down at all, now I go to bed.

Be careful and get it checked out if you are'nt sure.......
    Thank you T. Were the spots on your foot like the one I have? With this, it wasn't there one day, then was the next.
    I don't know what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Donno View Post
    I'd say that it's an incipient sore. I had one like that and one day the skin broke. I started taking care of it, but it got bigger and bigger. 5 months later I was in the hospital, and ultimately had a flap surgery. What I *should* have done was stay off it for as long as it took to clear up. I've had one similar since then, and a week in bed cleared it up. Good luck!
    Thank you Donno. I'm hoping that this will clear up very quickly too. I fear it might be more than a week with this though. Eek.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, if it is right over your ischial bone, it should be considered a pressure ulcer. Can you feel the ischium directly under this lesion?

Keep all pressure off it. It could take days or even weeks to fade. Sitting on it now could cause it to break open. Don't use a dressing unless you get drainage, and avoiding putting any ointment or solutions on that spot. Eat your protein and keep up your fluid intake. If you are not already taking a multivitamin, start one.

(KLD)
    It doesn't seem to be right over the ischial, but not far. I have a good bit of fat on my bum, and there seems to be a lot of padding between my bum and my bones.

A doctor who came to look at it said he thought it wasn't a sore, but an infected spot.(I know 100% it is not an infected spot). He's prescribed Fucidin, and some type of barrier cream. I suspected it might not be a great idea to use these ( but I haven't had anyone pick up the prescription yet).

I've just started taking a multivitamin.

I'm feeling nervous about whether I can deal with this. I was ok the first day, but now, whenever I lie on my side, after about an hour, I start sweating and get goosepimples and a headache. I'm sure it's ad related to my position. So I've been lying on my back for a while here and there, when I can't take the sweating and headache anymore.
    Also, I am obliged to do shower chair transfers, and I can't transfer without a board.
    I'm afraid I won't be able to get this to heal.
    I live alone, which doesn't help.

Thank you for the responses.

keps, I see you are in the UK. Can't you get some folks in your place to help such as the Visiting Nurses Assn or Meals on Wheels, a local Senior Center, a neighbor or hire someone to give you a hand?

Sorry keps. I get the same issues while lying on my sides. IDK what we'll do if we ever need to stay off our bums! I hope your dr is right, keep in mind though, kld has alot of experience w/ this stuff---take it easy! Keep us informed. Do eat lots of chicken ,fish & intake as much protein as possible just in case too.

Looks like a spider bite. Hope you get better soon keps.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    keps, I see you are in the UK. Can't you get some folks in your place to help such as the Visiting Nurses Assn or Meals on Wheels, a local Senior Center, a neighbor or hire someone to give you a hand?
    Hi Smokey, I do have someone coming every day to do some housework. They are making me anything I want to eat, and grabbing anything I ask them to. This helps a lot!
    I'm frustrated at having to wait until someone comes to do things like grab the post I heard coming through the letterbox though.

Quote Originally Posted by quad79 View Post
    Sorry keps. I get the same issues while lying on my sides. IDK what we'll do if we ever need to stay off our bums! I hope your dr is right, keep in mind though, kld has alot of experience w/ this stuff---take it easy! Keep us informed. Do eat lots of chicken ,fish & intake as much protein as possible just in case too.
    I've not long got off my right side. I'd been on it over an hour, but the headache and prickly sweating were getting to me too much. I know it's positional ad, as it starts resolving as soon as I'm on my back...but I worry about the sore then! I'm spending around 3 or 4 hours total a day lying flat on my back. Not ideal, but I'd never stop ad-ing otherwise.
    Have you always got ad this way? I never used to, it's weird. I can't go on my front, as that has made my head hurt from the start.

I'm disregarding what my doctor said, and I'm not bothering with the Fucidin, at least. He's wrong. It's not an infected spot, in fact, I'm sure it's not an infected anything.
    I trust more in what my spinal unit has to say, and the members of CC, and the SCI nurses.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Looks like a spider bite. Hope you get better soon keps.
    We don't have aggressive biting spiders here! Thank goodness (I hate spiders).

Thanks rdf! And quad79! And Smokey!

I do believe the sore is healing. It's flatter, I can't see a red dot in the middle anymore. It is also still completely dry - no wetness at all coming from it. (I do periodic checks with pieces of tissues gently held against it, lol! As well as touching it - gently - with my finger). I'm looking at it several times a day with my mirror.
    I was scared about getting in the shower chair this morning. I put a plaster over the sore (as advised by my spinal unit, to avoid getting faeces in the sore when I do my bp). I was so relieved when I got back on the bed to see the sore was still intact.

I'm looking into the protein thing. I know I need to eat plenty.