Thread: planes, trains, automobiles and research

planes, trains, automobiles and research

so here i am sat with a beer doing chinese homework and trying to be responsible. i should be at halloween parties but i have a research conference to go to in 10 days and i still need to get my poster done (will be sent to the printer tuesday), get all my homework done, do organic chemistry and a 6 page paper, plus prep for next quarter's rush week...

and i am considering getting a part time job if we don't get funding for research. why? well i am sick of ssi. it blocks me from doing proper paid research and i'd make more working 15hrs/week than what i get on ssi/mo. i have a meeting with my service coordinator to see if community based medicaid will pay for urological supplies. i'll prolly lose my aide but that'll be worth it for the increased financial independence. i'm looking to work for a tissue lab. i'd be going to morgues and hospitals collecting tissues from ppl who have decided to be organ donors. mainly corneas, skin and bone. training is $10/hr and once ur trained it's ~$14 - $15/hr. i'm meeting with my service coordinator in the next couple weeks to talk about my questions. i'm so tired of ssi breathing down my neck or worrying how i can do research without getting paid. also on the tbi waiver i've been waiting since january for emods!! i am officially off in april and i worry that the very things that'd help me be independent will not be in place when i am no longer eligible to receive the funding to get them.

being 100% independent is scary as i worry what will happen if i get sick etc. but i feel if i keep on the road i am now, i will never be free. rather my life depend on my own performance than on someone else's.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Blog Entries
    If you are on disability SS, you should be able to work for 6 months to a year and still receive full benefits. You can also make *some* money and still receive full benefits, and the amount you can make goes up for every year that you work. You may be able to get RA pay, as long as you don't go over the limit.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

i'm not on ssd/ssdi, i'm on ssi = no working.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    i'd be going to morgues and hospitals collecting tissues from ppl who have decided to be organ donors. mainly corneas, skin and bone. training is $10/hr and once ur trained it's ~$14 - $15/hr.
    Honestly that sounds like an interesting job! I would have imagined it paid double that! I find that a lot in America - the jobs pay next to nothing or an exorbitant amount for the work being done - always extremes.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Honestly that sounds like an interesting job! I would have imagined it paid double that! I find that a lot in America - the jobs pay next to nothing or an exorbitant amount for the work being done - always extremes.
    ya it's a nonprofit company, so i am sure if it were a business the pay would be a lot higher. but for a student who needs flexible hours it's more than what i get on ssi!