Thread: Digital Stimulation ...

Digital Stimulation ...

I am able to do my own DS. However, lately, I just have been avoiding it. sometimes I go 5-6 days without going to the loo. I just hate doing it... putting my finger up my fanny is not appealing to me at all. It really does make me sick to my stomach...

have any of you guys gone through this, surely? how do you deal with it? It is really having a toll on me (for instance, by the 3'rd, or 4th day of not going... I start to feel horrible, and get antisocial, dont go out...)

As you can see from my avatar, I hold few hang-ups over this procedure.

While not diminishing your repulsion, I would advise you to address your hang-ups and (politely) get over them.

I cannot imagine going so long without a bowel movement. I am regular each morning and spend around 10 minutes in the process. I then get straight in the shower and am sparkly clean for the rest of the day. It's a great feeling, to be empty and clean......

oh my goodness, you poor thing! Going to the loo is not enjoyable for most but much worse for you. My son feels the same and I force him to do it. You cant allow yourself to get backed up like that. You are going to cause great harm to your body.

Can you bring a TV in the bathroom with you? Maybe a distraction might help. I'm sorry this is so difficult.

You might try using something other than your finger. They make appliances for quads to do DS with, although those are horrendously expensive for what they are. A finger-sized length of smooth plastic rod, rounded at the end and not too long, should do you. At any rate, it would be a different sensation without the direct yuck factor of your own finger. Don't forget to lubricate it. We use the cheapest lubricant we can find in the shops (like K-Y, but cheaper).
    However, my guess is that the finger is best, as it makes it relatively unlikely that you will hurt yourself.
    I agree with the others about not letting yourself get backed up. When you're feeling bad, your body is telling you something. Listen to it.
    Yeah, the whole thing sucks big time.
    - Richard

It is not easy to learn to get past this. The use of an digital stimulator device such as described above might make it easier for you, but you need to get your bowel care done. You are much more likely to have problems with accidents and impactions if you don't do regular bowel care, and that can cause you even worse social embarrassment and isolation than what you are experiencing now.

You might also benefit from talking with a counselor about the feelings generated by your injury, disability, and necessary care needs, and see if they can help you learn to deal with these in a healthy and functional way.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by swordfish View Post
    I am able to do my own DS. However, lately, I just have been avoiding it. sometimes I go 5-6 days without going to the loo. I just hate doing it... putting my finger up my fanny is not appealing to me at all. It really does make me sick to my stomach...

have any of you guys gone through this, surely? how do you deal with it? It is really having a toll on me (for instance, by the 3'rd, or 4th day of not going... I start to feel horrible, and get antisocial, dont go out...)

I feel your pain. It has been a little over a year for me and I still get totally skeeved out by the whole bowel program. I am just starting to gain back weight, I lost a ton of weight because I had a hard time eating. Every time I would eat I would think about how I would be digging it out in a couple days. Wasn't a good thing. Talking to someone about it is good advice, it helped me.

i agree w/ KLD about going to see a counselor. i have known quite a few guys that are so mad, frustrated, sad, angry, etc., at the situation they're in all of a sudden and they have no one else to take it out on so they take it out on themselves, on their own bodies. this is a psychological problem that needs to be addressed.

Blog Entries
    When things weren't moving, i very successfully used the tip of an enema bottle in a glove (good sensation made it feel safe). My second njury screwed my hands, so I've tried all the standard oral options. Miralax makes a mess; well calibrated c-ascorbate disolved in water can help; lactulose seems to work best for me. Coughing also helps as final encourgement.

Sorry I know it's a bummer. I drink psylium after every meal.
    It gives me bulk & helps me go faster & have better results.
    I don't work so I think of my care as my job. If I wasn't doing this (my care)
    I'd probably be working at some other job I didn't like. At least now I'm at home.
    Gotta psyche yourself out.
    Are just tell yourself it's 30 mins, 1 hr, or however long it takes out of a 24 hr day.
    Lots of time left for better things to do.
    Good Luck & may God be with you. Mona

Blog Entries
    You might want to try warm water enema. I fill a couple of Fleet bottles and instill 1/2 bottle every 10 minutes or so. When I get movement, I bear down on my lower abdomen with my forearm and that seems to work pretty well. Still need to do a bit of D-S at times, but I've gotten used to it.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury