Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: neuropathy/cauda equina pain

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    using crutches you can us a swinging gait, and all your weight is lifted and moved forward by your arms and the crutches. using a can, usually means leaning on the cane and the stronges leg at the same time then hauling the non caned side forward. a kind of recipricating gait that is slow and tiring. I would still be doing the forearm crutches if my shoulders were not toast.
    thank you Jody, that was helpful info.

Regarding the SideStix. As soon as i get them, (and make my first hike) (: I will keep anyone interested, updated on how they work for me. I don't have motor in either leg below each knee. I use AFO's on both legs. Weak quads, hamstrings, gluts, but can still ride my horse easily. Must be a lot of muscle memory. Longest walk with cane was 3 miles and it was extremely difficult. Very anxious to see what the SideStix can do for my endurance. Praying the shoulder improves from latest injection, and does not need surgery. Will know Thursday after the MRI.
    I love the ocean, and SideStix has an adaptor for walking in the sand. I will be receiving that also with my order. Can't wait to head for the coast!

Quote Originally Posted by springville girl View Post
    Regarding the SideStix. As soon as i get them, (and make my first hike) (: I will keep anyone interested, updated on how they work for me. I don't have motor in either leg below each knee. I use AFO's on both legs. Weak quads, hamstrings, gluts, but can still ride my horse easily. Must be a lot of muscle memory. Longest walk with cane was 3 miles and it was extremely difficult. Very anxious to see what the SideStix can do for my endurance. Praying the shoulder improves from latest injection, and does not need surgery. Will know Thursday after the MRI.
    I love the ocean, and SideStix has an adaptor for walking in the sand. I will be receiving that also with my order. Can't wait to head for the coast!
    Sounds great SG, will be anxious to know how you do with them, that's great you're able to get them. Take it easy on that shoulder.

M77, I came across a thread this morning about shoulder surgeries! Good thing i did before next Thursday. I read about some complications, (2 months in hospital) and others who are still hurting months later. I think this will not be for me. I actually had forgotten why i went for that first cortisone injection after 15 years. ( i fell one day and my arms went forward, i HEARD something tear, but after the injection, it felt great. Now that it is worn off, the next injection has done nothing. Weird huh! I'll get the MRI, just to know, but surgery, i don't think so! I'll try the bag of peas bonnette suggested (:

Quote Originally Posted by springville girl View Post
    M77, I came across a thread this morning about shoulder surgeries! Good thing i did before next Thursday. I read about some complications, (2 months in hospital) and others who are still hurting months later. I think this will not be for me. I actually had forgotten why i went for that first cortisone injection after 15 years. ( i fell one day and my arms went forward, i HEARD something tear, but after the injection, it felt great. Now that it is worn off, the next injection has done nothing. Weird huh! I'll get the MRI, just to know, but surgery, i don't think so! I'll try the bag of peas bonnette suggested (:
    Well of course you have to wait for the MRI, but perhaps you can do some PT. Maybe it wont be as bad as you think. No i dont think its strange about the steroids, I've had my share and sometimes they work and sometimes they dont Feel Better.
    Last edited by marycsm77; 11-07-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: spell

springville girl, I just read on another thread that you need to have shoulder surgery...I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing surgery and I hope that whatever needs to be done will be completely successful, and that you'll be able to use your Sidestix in comfort.

shoulder surgery

Thanks Bonnette, after much delay, i did finally go in and find out there is significant damage to my right shoulder. But..... am still going to get a second opinion at Sansum Clinic in Santa Barbara Ca. The docs that did the MRI/ex-rays etc, think i am making a bad decision by waiting (i didn't tell them i was getting a second opinion) just didn't make the appt for surgery in the next two weeks after mri that they had encouraged. Said i had to think on it!!
    Geez, had no idea shoulder surgery had such a long recovery time. It means getting a scooter of some sort, that i can work with my left hand, as if i used a cane and fell, i could hurt the only piece of my body that doesn't hurt, my left arm! (: can't use my wheel chair, would go in circles, ha!
    In all seriousness, i think a second opinion is always best. Maybe just postponing the inevitable, but, there is one more reason also. We are going to the "Road to the Horse" in Tennessee end of February. I am so excited, as this is something i have waited to see for years. Especially when the clinicians are 3 of my favorites.
    I am going to MAKE 2011 a great year! Pain and all, just going to stay one step ahead of it, darn it! Tired of it having me in it's grip, My mom used to say " Smile and trick your brain into thinking your happy" (she died 13 yrs ago) long before my injury, but that was her take on life. I feel i have handled this injury pretty well, but had one day last week that scared me, i had that black cloud over me and could not pull myself out. Not like me. I have determined to laugh more, not say the word "pain" a gazillion times a week, and get on with it. Will let you know after appt what second opinion is, but in the meantime, maybe some of you could let me know how i can do this. I don't have good balance with my left arm and cane, falling is inevitable, don't have a clue how scooters work, any ideas?? Thanks!!!

Your mom was a wise woman, and you are equally wise to heed her counsel. Dark days are like storms, they inevitably come to all of us, but they move on and the sky clears...a smile really can be your umbrella, in so many ways.

I don't know anything about scooters, though I think the day might come when I will need to learn more. What I do know is that it is important to get a second opinion - or even a third - when something as serious as surgery is being considered. So thumbs-up on your decision to proceed carefully. There's always a chance that another option might be found.

Best wishes with everything, and keep us posted!