Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: neuropathy/cauda equina pain

I, too, am interested in these crutches. I got some forearm crutches through Amazon awhile back and they work okay, but a customized pair with all the features of SideStix would be wonderful. Surely if a doctor prescribes them by name, they would be considered durable medical goods...or maybe that's just wishful thinking. Can't wait to hear Arndog's input.

geez, i haven't been so excited about something since i was able to get on my horse by myself!!! and let me tell you, that's no easy feat with all this dead weight, but i finally got it. Dr Sig Berven does take my insurance, i have a call in with new patients desk, now to see what can get accomplished. Getting doctors records is like pulling chickens teeth, i better start now, as they give you a message of what you will need.
    THANKS!!!!

Mary - I look at the price of SideStix crutches of 800 -900 dollars and compare it with top of the line wheelchairs at 4000 - 5000 dollars which many people pay. So I think that my ambulation is worth it if you can swing it. With the mileage that I put on the crutches, I would trash a 100 dollar adjustable pair in about 5 days.
    I have not run the crutches through insurance so I don't know the answer - but I think that they think that a pair of crutches should cost 140 dollars or so.
    Yes, the reason I use forearm crutches is that I can go farther with them than with a cane. It is an endurance thing.

There is no 'graduation' to the next assistive device. I use them all. But with forearm crutches I can walk comfortably for miles (with my particular incomplete paraplegia).

Springville girl - good for you. Good luck to you.

Bonnette - I hope I have answered your questions.
    arndog

Mary - about your upper body with crutches. It is great upper body exercise but of course you have to build up to it to avoid overuse injuries and you have to keep your body weight down for the same reason. I couldn't do what I can do now immediately. I gradually built up to it and have gotten stronger with time.

It is interesting to me that the symbolism of the wheelchair as a 'failure' for an incomplete injury is a prevalent notion. And that forearm crutches are 'only' for those who can't graduate to a cane. I would through those notions out the window and do what it takes to get you doing the things you want to do. It is part of the conundrum that incomplete SCI injury people go through. The pressure to 'graduate' to the next level of gimpliment. Much of it is symbolic of recovery even though what ever you gimpliments you happen to grab in your hands doesn't really imply how well your recovery is going. I would be so limited if I only used a cane or 2 canes instead of crutches.

I like my wheelchair and I love where the forearm crutches can take me - back off the beaten path to the environment that meant so much to me before my SCI.
    Last edited by arndog; 10-22-2010 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by springville girl View Post
    arndog, duge, marycsm77, ok, just went to the sidestix site, called and left a e-mail msg.
    900.00 Ugh! Very spendy. I want them! were you able to have help with your insurance?
    I called Canada, didn't explore the site enough to see if they had local distributors.
    I was just so excited to watch the video and see all the accessories/attachments.
    Do you mind if i ask which attachments would be most useful. If i got the snow attachments, (for some reason, even with my cane, i can't walk in the snow without falling) So if i got the snow attachments, wonder if i could walk in regular shoes, not snow shoes. I have never figured out why i can't walk in snow, lack of feeling/proprioception? why can i walk on regular ground and not snow, weird.

S Girl - I like the snowshoe attachments but they have a pretty big spike on them and are not used indoors - Not so good for wood floors !
    There are studs for better traction in snow - google running equipment for snow and ice and you will find them. Or I could post a picture later.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Mary - about your upper body with crutches. It is great upper body exercise but of course you have to build up to it to avoid overuse injuries and you have to keep your body weight down for the same reason. I couldn't do what I can do now immediately. I gradually built up to it and have gotten stronger with time.

It is interesting to me that the symbolism of the wheelchair as a 'failure' for an incomplete injury is a prevalent notion. And that forearm crutches are 'only' for those who can't graduate to a cane. I would through those notions out the window and do what it takes to get you doing the things you want to do. It is part of the conundrum that incomplete SCI injury people go through. The pressure to 'graduate' to the next level of gimpliment. Much of it is symbolic of recovery even though what ever you gimpliments you happen to grab in your hands doesn't really imply how well your recovery is going. I would be so limited if I only used a cane or 2 canes instead of crutches.

Thanks arndog for the info but I dont use a wheelchair, I can walk with an afo. However as I said due to the myelopathy my ability to walk LONG distances and STAND for long periods of time is limited. It has gotten better but not normal. I could never say hike or walk for hours, I can walk for about 20 minutes now and legs are tired. So I thought maybe forearm crutches while I DONT need them to ambulate would give me the ability to go further in walking

I like my wheelchair and I love where the forearm crutches can take me - back off the beaten path to the environment that meant so much to me before my SCI.

Thanks arndog for the info but I dont use a wheelchair, I can walk with an afo. However as I said due to the myelopathy my ability to walk LONG distances and STAND for long periods of time is limited. It has gotten better but not normal. I could never say hike or walk for hours, I can walk for about 20 minutes now and legs are tired. So I thought maybe forearm crutches while I DONT need them to ambulate would give me the ability to go further in walking

And I agree that it's worth a try, Mary.

Much appreciation for your great and generously shared info, Arndog! I think these crutches will really help in getting out and about more, and with confidence. I never really feel stable with the cane.

sidestix/cane/wheelchair

Arndog, thank you again. You may have changed many ways of thinking here, especially mine. I won't get over my issues with the wheelchair overnight, i was in it for 2 years and don't know how to express how much i disliked it.
    I also felt i HAD to dislike it to get out of it, (i knew there were no promises) but i gave it all i had and did get some return.
    For me to want these sidestix so bad is a big step for me to not think i am going backwards. Oh, and i left a message yesterday on their e-mail, and called and left a message and have not heard from them to date?
    Hope they call me, i am truly interested. The price is discouraging, but the thought of not wearing out so quickly, (3 miles is my max and i was practically crawling at the end) and hiking without possibly falling so often will overcome the price issue. (:
    My husband is very curious what the differences are in the "cheap" forearm crutches and the sidestix, since i don't have anywhere to try them both, i will take your word for it that there is a huge difference.
    Off to ride, it's a beautiful day and my pain is down, thank God.
    (down from a solid 8 day 24/7, not let up). Ugh! Was worn out, but
    felt good enough to mow the yard last night with ride on, i call it "country rehab". That ride on mower helped me when i only had hip flexors. I mowed so much it was costing us a fortune in gas when the prices were so high (:

Arndog, i have not heard back from SideStix or the surgeon in San Francisco.):
    Just curious if you had to wait a while for a reply, especially from SideStix?
    I will call the Dr again Monday, but i have written twice to SideStix and no reply.
    Just anxious to get them, i have a bunch of places picked out to use them!