Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rutgers' LeGrand has no movement below neck after spinal cord injury

Rutgers' LeGrand has no movement below neck after spinal cord injury

Rutgers' LeGrand has no movement below neck after spinal cord injury

By Andy Gardiner, USA TODAY

Rutgers defense tackle Eric LeGrand currently has no movement below the neck following surgery Saturday night for a spinal cord injury he suffered in the Scarlet Knights' 23-20 overtime victory at Army.

"I was at the hospital all night and I can tell you that Eric's sprits were as good as you could expect," Rutgers coach Greg Schiano said Sunday. "He has a new set of challenges ahead of him but he will look at these just like he has all the others and overcome them."

LeGrand injured his spinal cord making a tackle on a kickoff return in the fourth quarter. He remained motionless on the field for five minutes before a backboard was placed under him and he was taken to Hackensack University Medical Center.

"We are a close family and there is no doubt in my mind this will bring us even closer together," Schiano said. "We've been very honest (with the players) and told them exactly what was going on. We talked with them a great deal about how Eric plays, how he approaches things. He is a part of this family and he would want us to go out and prepare and play like he did."

more...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...d-spinal-cord-

I saw the injury on tv. I am a Rutgers alumni. Maybe he'll be ok? I wish, I hope.....

This young man should by all explanations be a candidate for stem cell therapy provided by Geron. Is he a candidate and is he or his family or doctor looking into this?

keeping on

Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    This young man should by all explanations be a candidate for stem cell therapy provided by Geron. Is he a candidate and is he or his family or doctor looking into this?

keeping on
    Well unfortunately no. that are only testing safety. and thoracic not cervical injuries. We all know what they do to stabilize spinal cord injuries......
    brutal, barbaric, irreversible trauma

THE FUCKING IRONY!!! A Rutgers U player gets an SCI!

Quote Originally Posted by MValente81807 View Post
    THE FUCKING IRONY!!! A Rutgers U player gets an SCI!
    lol sorry.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Guys when I first got hurt thought a cure was so close. As I read more and more Reality hit. The key to moving on is removing pain....Then supporting research. we are close to a treatment to improve chronics of that I am hopeful..Will help some more than others. If the geron study proves safe doors will open and money will flow into all stem cell research. If tumors form that will set things back 20 more years.......

This kids injury is an opportunity to bring sci cure awareness to NJ. Sorry if my pragmatism offends.

Quote Originally Posted by jhope View Post
    Guys when I first got hurt thought a cure was so close. As I read more and more Reality hit. The key to moving on is removing pain....Then supporting research. we are close to a treatment to improve chronics of that I am hopeful..Will help some more than others. If the geron study proves safe doors will open and money will flow into all stem cell research. If tumors form that will set things back 20 more years.......

This kids injury is an opportunity to bring sci cure awareness to NJ. Sorry if my pragmatism offends.

I could not agree more! This is an awful tragedy for this young man and his family but good can come of this. We've got a petition going to get state funding back in NJ for SCI research. We need to get the sigs and send it to Gov Christie. Now is not the time to sit back and wait for someone else to get things done. Please sign and forward!

http://www.change.org/petitions/view...o_the_disabled

jhope, you're not being pragmatic enough. Keep thinking, reading, processing.

The key to a cure lies in clinical trials. Consistent, funded, available, incremental. Without the necessary infrastructure established, sadly, it is extremely difficult to make effective progress. Some, in fact many, will disagree with me, say that progress is happening, moving forward. To some degree, in their world of fractional expectations they are right. In my world, for me and the patients I see every day, no, they're wrong and painting an unrealistic picture.

I won't go into all of my reasoning again but on a 9th grade level my understanding is this. When you have a problem, challenge or unique goal (i.e., curing SCI) the approach to solving it is usually the same:
    1. Identify problem in as detailed a fashion as possible.
    2. Create experiments / potential ideas to solve the problem using if/then scenarios.
    3. Apply the best creative solutions, that do no harm further, to the problem.
    4. Quantify and qualify the results.
    5. Rinse and repeat until progress is shown.

From my perspective as a patient, dedicated professional advocate and a reasonably intelligent human being is that:

A. We've identified the problem but it is one that is very complicated to fix (imagine crushing a strawberry and then trying to reassemble it).

B. We've loosely created some experiments to apply to the problem, i.e. stem cells, OAG, GM-1, Proneuron, etc., et al. but we don't have agreed upon protocol. Have you seen, heard, read about SCI scientists in full agreement as to what they would do to solve it. Davies, Keirstad, Lammertse, McDonald, Young, Dietrich, etc. It's great having differentiation and unique approaches but I want a uniform methodology, agreed to by the best and brightest minds and scalpels.

C. Do you see consistent application or just one experiment at a time with a few lucky souls who happen to meet all of the qualifications. To me it's like having a winning hand at the World Series of Poker only to be trumped by the river card. Oooh, so close, but sorry you lose...again.

D. Heart transplants started off with the first few not living very long or very well. Fast forward 45 yrs and, with consistent experimentation on 1,000's of patients, we now have a good, solid, reliable, agreed upon, protocol for those in need of a heart overhaul. Bravo. Do we have the same setup for curing paralysis? 1,000's of us going in for experimental surgery? Trials in the East, North, South and West? Available at more than one every 3-5yrs? Open to most of us, chronic or acute? To me, and so far in ten years, the answer has been a resounding NO!

Chris, you're not being reasonable, look at all the progress, just be patient, hopeful, supportive. I am and I have been but the SCI world around me has not kept up, even reasonably, with my expectations. Someone above posted about the irony of a Rutgers player being a high quad and the lack of scientific and medical resources available to him to try and cure his acute injury. I agree, ironic.

Onward and upward,

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Chappell; 10-18-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by jhope View Post
    I saw the injury on tv. I am a Rutgers alumni. Maybe he'll be ok? I wish, I hope.....
    Also Alum, pray.

Be Big,
    AMAC
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.