Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Power assist wheels

Power assist wheels

Anyone currently using them and if so what manufacturer?
    How heavy are they?
    Are they worth the added cost?
    ANy pro or cons you would like to add?

My seating clinic is on Wednesday. I can't do a manual and don't want a power. I am considering power assist and looking for feed back from folks that currently use them or have used them in the last 2 yrs.

Thank you
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Hey Cheescake, been wondering about you, hope all is well.

Robbie has E-Motion wheels and never uses them. They are very heavy (I think 20-25 lbs ea) and he seems to struggle with them to the point where he doesnt think its worth it. They are not helpful at all if you are on an incline.

what type chair is he using? Would you consider selling the wheels?

I think if they are programmed to suit you they would be alright. I think they could be great for someone with really weak arms/hands.

My biggest problem was how sensitive they were when I demo'ed them. I tend to grab my wheels/rims a lot and lean side to side. It was hard because I was used to pushing a manual so long. Trying to stop or slow down the chair would jerk backwards. Grabbing my rim to lean to the side the chair would start to circle that way. I also was demo'ing them on a different chair than my own so was uncomf and unsteady. Trying to go up my van ramp I just wheelied backwards. I couldn't pop over doorways and cracks because how I normally grab my tires to do that caused me to just go wheel backwards etc. To me they were more work/hassle being careful and trying to lightly stroke them than pushing my manual.

Demo a pair first. See if they will work with your function and how you move daily. Also with what environments you are usually in.
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Thanks Novi. What chair do you use? I had been considering a TiLite but there are so many complaints here on the boards, I am not sure which direction I am going in.

I have heard that the batter pack can be in the wheels or on the chair itself. What option did you use?

we are not ready to seel but there are emotion wheels for sale on the forum

Emotion Power assist M15 for sale

Hey guys! I just wanted to post that I'm selling a set of Emotion M15 wheels on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_1361wt_1141

they're basically new with no bad track record. I'm selling because I just don't need them anymore.

I only heard good things about emotions m15, thats what i am going with.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Cheesecake,
    While there have been many complaints about TiLite recently, I don't really pay much attention to them b/c my experience with TiLite has been outstanding. If you go back and look at all the hundreds, if not thousands of other posts re: TiLite, it is MOSTLY good reviews. Every company is going to have some mistakes that need to be corrected, and I don't think that it is a coincidence that the "complaints" occurred after the release of a brand new design. When the design of anything changes there is going to be an adjustment period in both the user and the manufacturing process. They can't demo enough to get every kink out of the system, and after a product launch things will change based on user feedback and real world use. The issue with Stephen212's CF camber tube is also b/c it is a relatively new product that is not ordered in mass quantity. Now that they have sold enough to get user feedback and real world use, they are addressing some issues that have been brought up, including Stephen212's separating camber plug, and pinning the camber plug in so that it can not separate from the glue not adhering properly to the CF.
    If you are hesitant to order a ZR2/ZRa2, order a TR (the design has been out longer and has not had any recent complaints b/c of design changes).
    No matter what company you order from, there will be good and bad reviews. If you only focus on the bad you will not be able to order any chair from any company.
    Any time I have a question or concern about my TiLite, I give them a call and they have been very good at answering questions and giving me advice. I was just on the phone with them last week, and we are working to get my issue resolved as quickly as possible (I have a floating caster that is not responding to the usual fixes).
    Do your research and go with what you feel is best for YOU. TiLite may be a great choice b/c they produce some of the lightest chairs on the market. With decreased upper extremity strength and the need for power assist wheels, losing weight anywhere possible will be a good thing.
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

I use a Kuschall Airlite Pro, but demoed them on a Tilite ZRA.
    The battery packs in the Emotions are in the center of the wheel. I think Quickie has some type of power assist device that has a battery pack elsewhere. There are also entire wcs that are power assist. They are called a TailWind if they are still being made I believe.

FYI the Emotions set up run several thousand dollars and the batteries run a grand or more.

If you plan on always using power assist wheels or whatever it makes no sense to spend a ton of money on a super ultralight wc. You pay a lot for a minimal say 20 lb wc then slap on 50 lbs worth of wheels on it???
    Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash