Thread: Live-in caregiver rules

Blog Entries

Live-in caregiver rules

Is there written anywhere a guide with rules and responsibilities, what professional caregivers must do and are personally entitled to do? I wrote out my questions and they seem so outlandish to me (though maybe I'm wrong) that I decided to leave them out. But a formal discussion would give me great guidance.

I do see there are a number of links in obie's post, but if anyone who knows them knows which might address my issue, or has other ideas, that would so wonderfully simplify my life in the way I so crave.

And how do you handle being turned at night? What do I do to be turned once a night, when I know she's entitled to eight hours of uninterrupted sleep?

I have a very extensive contract for live In caregivers and if you pm me your email I'll send it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by zillazangel View Post
    I have a very extensive contract for live In caregivers and if you pm me your email I'll send it to you.
    If you wouldn't mind and could redact any personal information, I think a lot of us would benefit from reviewing your contract and posting it here for us to see.

I know there is another thread on this website that deals with the issue of interviewing and hiring caregivers, but it is a topic of broad appeal.

Thanks,
    GJ

Blog Entries

Contract? We're not dealing with the NFL or the Yankees here.

Based on my 9 yrs and at least 60 - 65 hires comprising FT, PT, agency, private, live-in, live-out, you name it. My advice could fill a book.

>Yes, a simple list consisting of mutual understandings with your hire is certainly helpful in avoiding future misunderstandings. But it should be simple/ general and clear in both literal and figuritive meaning.
    > Contracts are basically for reference only, not enforceable, not to hit caregiver over head with, he/ she will just walk. We're not talking Derrick Jeter salaries.
    >Dealing a real agencies, expensive and contracts are too slanted against you anyway.
    >There are hundreds of one-person "agencies" whose contracts are not worth the paper they're printed on.

Tim, your sarcasm isn't really appreciated. Chad, over the past 23 years, has hired hundreds of caregivers and the contract we have is a very specific one that helps us when we hire a live-in caregiver. I never suggested hitting the caregiver over the head with it, and I know it's not hiring the Yankees. If you don't find it helpful to you, that's fine, but please don't be a smart ass towards me for offering to share what we've found helpful!

Random: You can do a Google search for the late Alfred DeGraff. He wrote several books and articles on the PCA topic.