Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegan recipes?

Vegan recipes?

Got any good vegan recipes? I'm especially interested in stuff that can be grilled. I'm not vegan but some friends are, and their food can really suck.
    Death and taxes

Hi Cspine, I'm vegan and there are tons of great-tasting vegan recipes and alternatives these days. The food used to suck, for sure, but now it's very easy to find good vegan cookbooks and recipes (online, as well). It's not just tofu any longer (thank heaven, I hate tofu).
    Last edited by Bonnette; 10-14-2010 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling

with vegetarian friends, we like to grill up a bunch of vegetables and put them with grilled pizza dough, either as a pizza or just flavored flatbread. It's easy, you just take pizza dough ( make it the day before and leave it in the refrigerator overnight), roll it out, grill it on one side, take it off, turn it over ( now's the time to put on pizza toppings) stick it back on the grill until the bottom is done. only takes two or three minutes for each side on my grill.

If you don't want to make a pizza, fresh flatbread is great with humus, tahini or as a tortilla substitute. grilled potato slices are great on pizza

For grilling, there are several really good frozen burger and hot dog substitutes. We like Dr. Praeger's veggie burgers, Boca Burgers, and Morningstar Farms' veggie burgers and hot dogs. The last three are sold in most grocery stores alongside the rest of the frozen foods. Dr. Praeger's veggie burgers are sold in health food stores and several large grocery outlets.

Good input. Any fake cheese that melts good for the pizza?
    Death and taxes

Quote Originally Posted by Cspine View Post
    Good input. Any fake cheese that melts good for the pizza?
    None that I've found.

I've been making my own veggie and/or lentil burgers. They're a lot better than the store-bought ones. I usually pre-soak and then boil beans or lentils and then food-processor them into a mush, adding sauteed onion, garlic, and some veggies like shredded carrot and zucchini. Also salt and seasoning, or fresh herbs. Then a couple of eggs and a cup of oats or bran buds. Let the mixture soak together in the fridge overnight, form into patties, dredge in breadcrumbs and onto the grill they go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Hi Cspine, I'm vegan and there are tons of great-tasting vegan recipes and alternatives these days. The food used to suck, for sure, but now it's very easy to find good vegan cookbooks and recipes (online, as well). It's not just tofu any longer (thank heaven, I hate tofu).
    Oh come on Bonnette, Tofu cheesecake??? one of the health food store I frequent make awesome tofu cheesecake.

I was a vegetarian for 13 years but my ferritin level went down to a 2. I believe there were some other things going on that may have contributed to this but ultimately the iron supplements were not upping the ferritin fast enough, it takes a long time to get levels up to norm. So alas i went back to eating some meat, which I would really like to back off again.

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    Oh come on Bonnette, Tofu cheesecake???
    Nope, not even!

Cspine, another thing that might be tasty for your vegan guests is grilled portobello mushroom sandwiches - or you can bread the portobello slices (eggplant works well, too) and fry, bake or broil them. You don't need to use egg in the breading to make it hold together. Here's a website with good info on a wide range of egg substitutes for cooking.
    Last edited by Bonnette; 10-15-2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: spelling

I love vegetarian chili. It's a nice change and tastes good. Good recipes online and swear it tastes like meat in the chili! I love veggie burgers or falafel and would go to the local mid east restaurant for one. You can buy them frozen too you just need to get the wraps or buns. While in college my room mate made decent chili I will get her recipe.