Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Myth of Titanium

Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

there's legitimacy to what they're saying. titanium is hyped in marketing with not a lot of data to support claims.

it's interesting to hear this from quickie, as they have titanium options. i wonder if they're phasing out their use of it?

that. guy. talks. too. slow.

These videos were produced by Quickie and actually portray their own titanium models in a less favorable light than their aluminum models. My guess is that Quickie is not planning to design any more titanium rigid frames and is betting their future on the Q7 and future models with 7000 series ovalized aluminum tubing.

These videos strike me as an effort to reshape end user perceptions about titanium and aluminum so they will be consistent with this strategy. It is much easier and cost-effective for Quickie to build chairs out of aluminum instead of titanium. Titanium is a more-expensive material and is more difficult to work with. Bottom line: More overhead and less profit margin.

At this particular point in time, however, they are almost forced to offer titanium models due to the belief that titanium represents the current state-of-the art. From a marketing standpoint, it would far better for 7000 series aluminum to be perceived by end users as the new state-of-the art. If perceptions could be changed, discontinuing a model like the GTi could be portrayed as eliminating an obsolete model to make room for a new, state-of-the-art, 7000 series aluminum replacement. Given the current perceptions, however, Quickie could be perceived as having conceded the titanium market to other manufacturers.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 11-27-2010 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    that. guy. talks. too. slow.
    second that!
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Maybe it's for Medicare/insurance purposes. I don't know, but from reading here, doesn't Medicare pay for the the Q7, but not for titanium chairs?
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

There are points never mention at all in the videos:

1. Aluminium will work-fatigue, become brittle and easy to break.

2. Aluminium very prone to corrosion.

3. Aluminium is easy to get scratches.

4. The video just saying aluminium dampen vibration better than titanium, but no proof is given.
    Last edited by sowseng; 11-27-2010 at 05:57 PM.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    There are points never mention at all in the videos:

1. Aluminium will work-fatigue, become brittle and easy to break.

2. Aluminium very prone to corrosion.

3. Aluminium is easy to get scratches.

4. The video just saying aluminium dampen vibration better than titanium, but no proof is given.
    For what it's worth, I have cracked an aluminum wc frame and a titanium wc frame in my years. Both cracks originated where bolt holes were drilled in the frame.

In a related story, I was on a pier in San Francisco in a Quickie Ti when it first came out. I was cruising a long at probably 6-8 mph and slowed down to go around a structure/corner that I couldn't see around. A family was coming the other way and I didn't see them until I turned the corner. We weren't in each other's paths but I slowed down a little more to acknowledge/respect them. Right before I passed them my right front caster lodged between two of the old wooden planks and the chair stopped cold and my back wheels came about 9 inches off the ground. I flung my arm behind my backrest and fell over somewhat in my lap. My eyes were pointed towards the front right caster and I saw the titanium tube that led from the frame to the caster bend about 20-30 degrees off it's line. One of the kids in the family said man that was cool.

I was a little shaken, pulled myself back together, got my caster out of the crack and inspected the tubing and weld. Nothing was damaged and I was quite inpressed with how it held up.

I would bet that the basketball and/or rugby crowd see this quite a bit.
    Last edited by Patton57; 11-28-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Just give me a good & cool chair, made it with what you want... anyway is just for 3-4 years.

magnesium!

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Maybe it's for Medicare/insurance purposes. I don't know, but from reading here, doesn't Medicare pay for the the Q7, but not for titanium chairs?
    Yea it's on their payroll.

Personally I don't care what it's made out of it it holds up and does the job needed. I've mostly heard good thing about the Q7, but those caster settings sure are funky. Also it would make me think twice about buying a more expensive titanium frame from a company preaching the virtues of a cheaper chair.
    Most everything I say is