Thread: Smaller size Cath or Dialation?

Smaller size Cath or Dialation?

I've been having trouble at times getting the cath to go in....so my doc did a dialation....not exactly fun but tolerable and it works after the soreness and bleeding stop...easier insertation of the cath.

Why wouldn't I use a smaller cath to cath then? I know it's scar tissue but I worry that the dialation is making more scar tissue....and when doesn't it all end?

Ideas?

i had the same problem. i switched to speedicath by coloplast. what a huge difference, haven't had a problem since.

I use to catheterize with absolutely no problem, ever. A few years ago I started finding resistance entering the bladder. Long story short, I found two things that really help.

1) being very careful to make sure the catheter is properly lubricated.

2) holding steady pressure with the catheter against the bladder sphincter until it fatigues. Be sure not to force it. I can actually feel the sphincter open, and the catheter slides right in.

I've also found that it is usually much easier to pass the sphincter when the bladder has a larger volume of urine.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    I use to catheterize with absolutely no problem, ever. A few years ago I started finding resistance entering the bladder. Long story short, I found two things that really help.

1) being very careful to make sure the catheter is properly lubricated.

2) holding steady pressure with the catheter against the bladder sphincter until it fatigues. Be sure not to force it. I can actually feel the sphincter open, and the catheter slides right in.

I've also found that it is usually much easier to pass the sphincter when the bladder has a larger volume of urine.
    I agree with this, i use 16fr and i have to hold with a little pressure and it finds it way in. i've used smaller caths and they don't work as well for me, the larger one seems to center itself in openening, where as the smaller doesn't go where it needs to.

Hi,
    Everyone's anatomy is different so I suggest you try a smaller catheter fist. If it works and drains well, stick with it. My experience, however is that most people find the larger one's are easier to insert.

AAD

I've been getting the dilations for about 2 years now every 6 months....doesn't bother me really except I'm worried about long term consequences...scar tissue build up and then what do you do when it occludes completely?

Update....I used a new caude cath...and it's like a miracle product....that little end twist works great in a 14 french.....

I assume you mean a Coude catheter. Be careful that you insert as instructed by your physician, as if done improperly, it can actually make more scar tissue.

(KLD)