Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Thumbs up The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Riveting story. I watched the movie and it's excellent. It's made me interested in reading the remaining two books. There's three books to the entire story. I definitely recommend reading this. If you aren't sure, watch the film and see if the story grabs you.

I went along to the movie with a friend having NO idea what it was about. After about 5 minutes of being totally confused and trying to read the subtitles and get in the whole picture from the side of the front row I was rivetted. Went back and read all three books as well and highly recommend them. Also recommend NOT watching the movie from the front row!

Awesome book !!!

The books and films are great. It is sad Stieg Larsson died before the fourth book was finished.

I have bought all the films in BlueRay and they are nine hours all together.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I am finally reading the third book now, and have seen both the movies (the third one has not been released yet in the USA). The films so far are one of those rare times that films based on books I love do not disappoint me. All the characters are just as I imagined them when reading the books, as well as the locations and scenery.

I am dismayed to see that American versions of the films are being made, probably with Daniel Craig in the role that is so perfectly filled by Michael Nyqvist (Blomkvist). Someone named Rooney Mara (whom I have never heard of) is cast in the title role, but Noomi Rapace is perfect as well in the Swedish films. I am sure it will be ruined, similar to how the remake of "The Vanishing" (Dutch) in the USA was so horrible after how wonderful the original was. Hollywood is so bankrupt in originality and creativity that it can do little but remakes and sequels anymore!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I am finally reading the third book now, and have seen both the movies (the third one has not been released yet in the USA). The films so far are one of those rare times that films based on books I love do not disappoint me. All the characters are just as I imagined them when reading the books, as well as the locations and scenery.

I am dismayed to see that American versions of the films are being made, probably with Daniel Craig in the role that is so perfectly filled by Michael Nyqvist (Blomkvist). Someone named Rooney Mara (whom I have never heard of) is cast in the title role, but Noomi Rapace is perfect as well in the Swedish films. I am sure it will be ruined, similar to how the remake of "The Vanishing" (Dutch) in the USA was so horrible after how wonderful the original was. Hollywood is so bankrupt in originality and creativity that it can do little but remakes and sequels anymore!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

(KLD)
    I had no idea The Vanishing was a remake. The US version really saddened me as a child. That movie is so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    I had no idea The Vanishing was a remake. The US version really saddened me as a child. That movie is so sad.
    Now I am feeling old. You were a child in 1993 when The Vanishing came out in the USA?? The Dutch one was released in 1988. I didn't find it as sad as I did really frightening!

(KLD)

todd, KEEP UP! didn't i recommend this book months ago? and the following 2?? i dunno, maybe i didn't here. in any case, all 3 books are excellent, imo. haven't seen the swedish movie but know hollywood is making one. big to do bout who plays lead.

the author died before 4th written, but word is he left plenty behind to flesh out book but his sister (or some fam member) is disputing ownership of the material.

btw, over last 3 nights i watched via netflix streaming The Pillars of the Earth made for tv. was interesting, though, as always, hard to fit a book of that magnitude in a movie albeit a 7 episode one.

oh, and the actress playing bonnie blue (Eugenia Victoria LOL) died my favorite all time movie. and there's new book out on vivien leigh.
    Last edited by cass; 09-05-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    oh, and the actress playing bonnie blue (Eugenia Victoria LOL) died my favorite all time movie. and there's new book out on vivien leigh.
    Cass, my favorite movie too (GWTW). I remember reading the book in a weekend and then my mother taking me to a theatrical re-release of the movie (before it ever played on TV). She told me about seeing it as a new film...the first she ever saw with an intermission. I still watch it whenever I can, and have re-read the book at least 5 times....

I saw the obituary for Cammie King Conlon today too...sorry to say I did not even know she was still alive. I guess Olivia de Havilland is now the last of the major actors left.

(KLD)

I usually don't like sitting at my computer and watching 2 hour movies but sat here and watched, "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" tonight via Netflix streaming. Excellent.