Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: First patient treated in embryonic stem cell trial

First patient treated in embryonic stem cell trial

First patient treated in embryonic stem cell trial
    Controversial cells being used to help patient with spinal cord injuries
    By Maggie Fox, Health and Science Editor
    Reuters
    updated 1 hour 53 minutes ago 2010-10-11T14:06:22

WASHINGTON — U.S. doctors have begun treating the first patient to receive human embryonic stem cells, but details of the landmark clinical trial are being kept confidential, Geron Corp said on Monday.

Geron has the first U.S. Food and Drug Administration license to use the controversial cells to treat people, in this case patients with new spinal cord injuries. It is the first publicly known use of human embryonic stem cells in people.

read....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39614418...nd_stem_cells/

Thumbs up

I am so happy! wohooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

First patient treated in stem cell study

The first patient has been treated with human embryonic stem cells in the first study authorized by the Food and Drug Administration to test the controversial therapy.

A patient who was partially paralyzed by a spinal cord injury had millions of embryonic stem cells injected into the site of the damage, according to an announcement early Monday by the Geron Corp. of Menlo Park, Calif., which is sponsoring the groundbreaking study.

The patient was treated at the Shepherd Center, a 132-bed hospital in Atlanta that specializes in spinal cord and brain injuries, Geron said. The hospital is one of seven sites participating in the study, which is primarily aimed at testing whether the therapy is safe. Doctors will, however, also conduct a series of specially designed tests to see whether the treatment helps the patients. No additional information about the first patient was released.

continue....

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/che...d_in_stem.html

This is groundbreaking news; it is the start of promise for all. I pray that things well and Wise's trials will piggy up in this new endeavor. We're on our way for now. Let's pray for the best, myfriends, let's pray.

keeping on

Quote Originally Posted by manouli View Post
    I am so happy! wohooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

First patient treated in stem cell study

The first patient has been treated with human embryonic stem cells in the first study authorized by the Food and Drug Administration to test the controversial therapy.

A patient who was partially paralyzed by a spinal cord injury had millions of embryonic stem cells injected into the site of the damage, according to an announcement early Monday by the Geron Corp. of Menlo Park, Calif., which is sponsoring the groundbreaking study.

The patient was treated at the Shepherd Center, a 132-bed hospital in Atlanta that specializes in spinal cord and brain injuries, Geron said. The hospital is one of seven sites participating in the study, which is primarily aimed at testing whether the therapy is safe. Doctors will, however, also conduct a series of specially designed tests to see whether the treatment helps the patients. No additional information about the first patient was released.

continue....

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/che...d_in_stem.html
    Dr. Wise, can you please explain what the "series of specialized tests to see whether the treatments help" might entail?

I just saw this on my local news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If all goes well or better than expected, the floodgates should open.

Talking Geron on cbs and abc evening news

Just saw the cbs and abc evening news report on the geron trials, very very very exciting. The cbs reporter said results should be seen within 2 months.

c4-c5 walking incomplete quad since Jan, 13 1990

Quote Originally Posted by ineedmyelin View Post
    Just saw the cbs and abc evening news report on the geron trials, very very very exciting. The cbs reporter said results should be seen within 2 months.
    Me too. Quick report though. Hope they talk about bit more and make a good impression for those against this possible avenue, to convince them it's a good idea.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

Man, watching that report brought a tear to my eye. In a good way.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Smile

What will happen if the people start walking after the treatment? Dr. Young said that we need only 10 percent returns to be able to walk. The rats were able to walk after treatments, and really it can happen to people too. I bet you that soon we will read about other companies do the same too. Finally human trials,, I think I am dreaming.

First Patient Treated With Embryonic Stem Cells
    Paralyzed Atlanta Patient Gets Stem Cells Injected Into Spine
    By Daniel J. DeNoon
    WebMD Health News
    Reviewed by Laura J. Martin, MD

Oct. 11, 2010 - The first person treated with embryonic stem cells is an Atlanta patient paralyzed by a recent spine injury.

The Geron Corp. GRNOPC1 stem cells come from embryos left over after in vitro fertilization and donated by the parents. The FDA approved the study in early 2009.

The clinical trial is a first step toward an eventual cure for paralysis, says study leader Richard Fessler, MD, PhD, professor of neurological surgery at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and a surgeon at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.

"We would love to see paralysis cured. Will that happen with this study? Of course not. We would be thrilled to see any beneficial effect at all," Fessler tells WebMD. "This is merely the first step in a long process that will take 10-25 years."

The study, taking place at up to seven medical centers, will enroll 10 patients in its first stage. Patients with complete grade A thoracic spinal cord injuries will be treated seven to 14 days after their injury. Such patients cannot move or feel their lower bodies and usually lose bladder and bowel control. Physical therapy has only limited benefits.

Embryonic Stem Cells Mature Before Injection
    read....

http://www.webmd.com/brain/news/2010...nic-stem-cells

For the first time in a long time, I feel so happy and hopeful that these trials have begun. I know that the road to the cure is long and we need to be patient (but not too patient!)

It's just that the last few years have seemed to be more full than usual of misguided media reports about flaky clinics and so on. Now that the real deal is happening it's almost like a fog has lifted for me.