Thread: Varilite Evolution Wheelchair Cushion 16 X 18

Varilite Evolution Wheelchair Cushion 16 X 18

This is a varilite cushion 16 X 18 that unzips for washing. The cover appears to be the incontenience variety. There is a small hole on one of the corners. See photo. The velcro on the bottom of the cushion is still covered with the plastic it came with. VARILITE air-foam floatation combines the best characteristics of air and foam.

Air acts like a fluid and displaces under load. However, air does not provide any support unless it is confined. Foam, on the other hand, provides support and conformation, acting like a spring and compressing under load. For effective support, foam must be firm enough to prevent bottoming out. The firmer the foam, the more it pushes back on the object it is supporting.

Air in a VARILITE cushion supports the load, while foam keeps the air where it is needed, preserves the cushion shape, and prevents bottoming out. Because air supports most of the load, low-density soft foam can be used. This results in a lightweight cushion with less “push back” or interface pressure.

Air-foam floatation works because of immersion. VARILITE air-foam cushions use multi-stiffness foams to provide support and conformation under different areas of the user. A valve releases air to immerse the user in the foam, and the different foams conform to the user’s shape. As immersion increases, the load is distributed over more of the cushion’s surface area and pressure points are reduced.

Optimal pressure distribution is achieved when the load is distributed over the largest area.

Lists for $364.00 retail on sportaid.com. For sale price there is $269.00. So how about $130 including shipping. Offers are always welcome.

It appears to me that the "hole" in the cushion is actually the opening for the air valve to come through. Unless I'm off base somehow; take the cover off, reposition the valve stem/tube so it will poke through the "hole" when the cover is put back on. This is how air is infused/defused from this type cushion.
    Last edited by Lynne; 10-10-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynne View Post
    It appears to me that the "hole" in the cushion is actually the opening for the air valve to come through. Unless I'm off base somehow; take the cover off, reposition the valve stem/tube so it will poke through the "hole" when the cover is put back on. This is how air is infused/defused from this type cushion.
    Yes, you are correct.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

yep, that's what it is. The cushion can be turned either way. Thx!! I thought I ripped it somehow.
    Last edited by toothfairy32; 10-11-2010 at 08:01 AM.