Thread: Experiences/thoughts/tips for Hemorrhoidectomy

Experiences/thoughts/tips for Hemorrhoidectomy

I'm 27 years old, 8 years post injury, and a C4/5 quadriplegic. I have been dealing with slowly growing external hemorrhoids for several years now. I learned earlier this year that I also have internal hemorrhoids that are contributing to bleeding that I have during my BM occasionally. The amount of blood that I was getting during the occasional bouts was also increasing, so the colorectal surgeon did a ligation on one of the internals. However, he said that the one that was probably causing the most issues is on the border between internal and external, and a band probably wouldn't take... so removal by surgery is really the only option for that one.

The ligation worked well for a while, but the bleeding is appearing again. Getting rid of the hemorrhoids doesn't seem to be too much of an issue because the bleeding isn't severe and it's not getting in the way of everyday life.

Without babbling on too long, I'll get to the point. I fear that I'll eventually have to get the hemorrhoidectomy since these don't seem to go away on their own. On the other hand, I'm very hesitant because I'm still pretty young to be dealing with this (I think) and I've read of some pretty terrible experiences with the surgery on this forum. My colorectal surgeon has quite the opposite opinion, indicating that the surgery goes pretty smoothly, the recovery is not too much of a problem, and it should solve my issue for a good 10 years.

Who's right? Are there many positive experiences with the surgery? My doctor has plenty of experience with SCI's, so I would think he should have a good idea of what I can expect.

Any input would be appreciated!

I haven't heard of any terrible experiences but let's hear fromt the group.
    CWO

I had an haemorrhoidectomy at age 28, 10 years post injury (complete C5 C6) because of excessive bleeding during bowel routines. That was 15 years ago and while I still have haemorrhoids, the bleeding didn't return to any degree that has been of concern. So for me the operation was successful and I don't have to sit there listening to blood run into the toilet wondering whether it it's going to clot or not.

I had an epidural for the operation and when that wore off I began profusely sweating, obviously a sign of autonomic dysreflexia. The profuse sweating lasted for probably a day and mild sweating and sympathetic feelings for a approximately one week post. Interestingly enough one of the ignorant nursing staff suggested the profuse sweating was simply because I didn't like being in hospital, I wish I had that power to make things magically happen without cause. Anyway they applied anaesthetic gel to the stitched area after me asking them to ring the spinal unit in my state for advice and that eased things but certainly didn't stop it.

For me there really wasn't a choice because the amount of blood I was losing was increasing, so I'm glad I had it done.

Blog Entries
    I had one about 10 years ago, and I've had a few incidents of bleeding since, but all isolated and due to too much dig stim. I had general anesthesia, and no problems with AD. I'm now 64 and 17 years post injury and am also glad I had it done.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Hello,

According to health researcher Adelle Davis (Let's Get Well), taking 10mg of b6 with each meal with shrink hemorrhoids within around 10 days or sooner. More b6 per meal is NOT better...I have used this method many times in 32+ years of C4/C5 Complete experience...
    Futurewalker

Thanks for the couple of contributions of your experiences with the procedure. I would definitely like to hear about any more to get a better feeling of the spread and distribution of what people have gone through.

And:

Quote Originally Posted by futurewalker View Post
    According to health researcher Adelle Davis (Let's Get Well), taking 10mg of b6 with each meal with shrink hemorrhoids within around 10 days or sooner. More b6 per meal is NOT better...I have used this method many times in 32+ years of C4/C5 Complete experience...
    Really? It can't possibly be that simple.