Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber solid seat pan by strips.

Anyway, do you think your chair with bolts is going to look cleaner than this one?

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Anyway, do you think your chair with bolts is going to look cleaner than this one?
    I guess not. Where did you get the u-channel stuff around the edges of the pan?

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Where did you get the u-channel stuff around the edges of the pan?
    I don`t use them, i sand the edges, but guys here would tell you, they have put them in sideguards, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I guess not. Where did you get the u-channel stuff around the edges of the pan?
    The cf seat pan with the slots in it is Erick [RB]'s.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showpos...3&postcount=23

Automotive door edge trim has enough flex for the radius of side guards, but I have yet to find a source for edge trim that is that flexible. Hopefully, Erick, Todd ADI, or someone else will post a source.

Looking at Erick's ZR2 (probably the best looking ZR2 ever made IMO) it looks like he had TiLite custom build the vertical section between the camber tube clamp and the frame rail as a plate instead of ovalized tubing. It would definitely be stiffer and allows the overall width to be at the theoretical minimum--even with the Surelocks.

Erick is in a unique position to actually change the theoretical minimum because hub width looks like the only area that could potentially be reduced on his chair and he designs/manufacturers Round Betty custom wheels.

This is a good example of product development that is driven by end users who understand the day-to-day issues of living life in a wheelchair. Like any good entrepreneur, he also obtains information about what his target market would like to see in new products under development (aka posting ideas on CareCure).

I agree with you SCI OTR, Erick sure has a beautiful looking chair. I had been wondering about that unique feature on his chair – “the vertical section between the camber tube clamp and the frame rail as a plate instead of ovalized tubing.” I wonder if Erick was going for more of a narrower chair or more of a stiffer chair?

What do you and Toto think of combination of Erick’s CF slotted seat pan with a CF sideguard mounting by ADI (fixed sideguards with 2 screws in the CF seat pan on either side or custom fixed sideguards with 1 screw on either side)? Would those screws have too much of a negative impact on the structural integrity of Erick’s slotted CF seat pan?

http://accessibledesigns.com/sg.html

If possible and safe then I think it would provide a very “clean” look to a ZR with a fixed backrest (losing that standard CF sideguard mounting clamp on the frame rail).

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Looking at Erick's ZR2 (probably the best looking ZR2 ever made IMO) it looks like he had TiLite custom build the vertical section between the camber tube clamp and the frame rail as a plate instead of ovalized tubing. It would definitely be stiffer and allows the overall width to be at the theoretical minimum--even with the Surelocks.

Erick is in a unique position to actually change the theoretical minimum because hub width looks like the only area that could potentially be reduced on his chair and he designs/manufacturers Round Betty custom wheels.

This is a good example of product development that is driven by end users who understand the day-to-day issues of living life in a wheelchair. Like any good entrepreneur, he also obtains information about what his target market would like to see in new products under development (aka posting ideas on CareCure).
    I asked Erick whether the strut (that's what I've always called this part) was designed by request. He told me that it was not. TiLite built it that way to accommodate his particular seating dimensions (sorry, I don't know what those were), but he reported that he's very happy with the result, which is slightly lighter weight than the oval tubing that TiLite customarily uses.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    I agree with you SCI OTR, Erick sure has a beautiful looking chair. I had been wondering about that unique feature on his chair – “the vertical section between the camber tube clamp and the frame rail as a plate instead of ovalized tubing.” I wonder if Erick was going for more of a narrower chair or more of a stiffer chair?

What do you and Toto think of combination of Erick’s CF slotted seat pan with a CF sideguard mounting by ADI (fixed sideguards with 2 screws in the CF seat pan on either side or custom fixed sideguards with 1 screw on either side)? Would those screws have too much of a negative impact on the structural integrity of Erick’s slotted CF seat pan?

http://accessibledesigns.com/sg.html

If possible and safe then I think it would provide a very “clean” look to a ZR with a fixed backrest (losing that standard CF sideguard mounting clamp on the frame rail).
    You didn't ask me, but here's my take. Not a good idea.

One of the benefits of using Velcro to secure the pan to the frame is the ease of being able to remove it. If the side guards are bolted to the frame -- the angled brace used to secure the seat frame to the back posts in the picture you linked -- then it won't be possible to pull up the seat pan.

It would be better, I think, to have the side guards mounted independent of the seat pan, whether welding tabs to the frame as seen on on Toto's Oracing, or secured to the sides of the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I asked Erick whether the strut (that's what I've always called this part) was designed by request. He told me that it was not. TiLite built it that way to accommodate his particular seating dimensions (sorry, I don't know what those were), but he reported that he's very happy with the result, which is slightly lighter weight than the oval tubing that TiLite customarily uses.
    It is probably required to get the lowest possible rear STF height combined with the relatively conservative COG. Lots of stuff coming together in one spot.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    You didn't ask me, but here's my take. Not a good idea.

One of the benefits of using Velcro to secure the pan to the frame is the ease of being able to remove it. If the side guards are bolted to the frame -- the angled brace used to secure the seat frame to the back posts in the picture you linked -- then it won't be possible to pull up the seat pan.

It would be better, I think, to have the side guards mounted independent of the seat pan, whether welding tabs to the frame as seen on on Toto's Oracing, or secured to the sides of the frame.
    Agreed, i would bolt on to the seat pan some hinge sistem that open only at 90º to make the sideguards folding and can remove all together or adding an angle between seat and sideguards.
    Of course tabs is the best option but is a difficult job for non proffesionals, cut, weld, etc.