Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber solid seat pan by strips.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Toto,
    Do you think it is possible to attach a CF solid seat using those holes or would they be too close to the edge of the CF sheet?
    Of course you could do it, anyway you don`t need all that bolts for fix it, with 3 each side you will have more than enough

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Of course you could do it, anyway you don`t need all that bolts for fix it, with 3 each side you will have more than enough
    Thanks, I am going to give it a shot, will post when it's done.

If I have to I will do the velcro, i just think that screws would look cleaner.I know it's under my cushion and no one would see it but it's all about the little details.
    Not sure why you think that using bolts looks cleaner. It's just the opposite: the absence of bolts is cleaner!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Not sure why you think that using bolts looks cleaner. It's just the opposite: the absence of bolts is cleaner!
    Basically because I have a dog that sheds and has probably a good 1.5 sq meters of surface area anything Velcro in my house ends up looking like the lint trap in my dryer.

Ps. I know it will be gone by the time most people read this but the "man boob" spammer is cracking me up. Nothing like hitting the new posts tab and seeing 20 posts titled "man boobs" to give you a good laugh in the morning.

Basically because I have a dog that sheds and has probably a good 1.5 sq meters of surface area anything Velcro in my house ends up looking like the lint trap in my dryer.
    The attachment method uses thin strips of velcro: the hook side gets adhered to the frame rails and the cloth part to the underside of the carbon. There will be very little that's exposed to stray dog hair.

just curious how to get the rubber protection from the corner of the seat cf pan thanks.

Actually, using bolts could have a negative impact the structural integrity of toto's cf strip technology. Holes drilled in cf will be stress concentration points and if any slop develops or bolts are overtightened, the holes become potential failure points. Remember, one of the benefits of toto's proprietary cfspbs technology is that the strips are supposed to flex for some shock absorption.

When he begins selling his innovation on the global market, his lawyers will probably make him put some stupid liability warning which will state something to the effect:

ADVERTENCIA - Perforar agujeros para tornillos en las tiras de fibra de carbono para los pernos en los que el marco puede debilitar la fibra de carbono y aumentar el riesgo de grietas y fallas catastr├│ficas. Como resultado, se podr├*a caer, caerse o perder el control de la silla de ruedas y herir gravemente a usted oa otras personas o da├▒ar la silla de ruedas.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Actually, using bolts could have a negative impact the structural integrity of toto's cf strip technology. Holes drilled in cf will be stress concentration points and if any slop develops or bolts are overtightened, the holes become potential failure points. Remember, one of the benefits of toto's proprietary cfspbs technology is that the strips are supposed to flex for some shock absorption.

That`s right, strips can`t be fixed to the frame with bolts, because you wouldn`t have the flex i`m looking for, and problably will crack where the bolt hole when the strips try to flex, but with a normal solid seat pan in CF you will not have problems fixing them with bolts if you go for the correct thickness.

Do you think it is possible to attach a CF solid seat using those holes or would they be too close to the edge of the CF sheet?
    Don`t said nothing about strips here.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    That`s right, strips can`t be fixed to the frame with bolts, because you wouldn`t have the flex i`m looking for, and problably will crack where the bolt hole when the strips try to flex, but with a normal solid seat pan in CF you will not have problems fixing them with bolts if you go for the correct thickness.

Don`t said nothing about strips here.
    Yeah, I was going to make this:

But SCI_OTR's point is what I am worried about. I don't know anything about CF and was worried how much drilling holes would affect the integrity of the seat. I don't put my chairs through anything like the craziness Toto does but I am active.

Yeah, I was going to make this:

But SCI_OTR's point is what I am worried about. I don't know anything about CF and was worried how much drilling holes would affect the integrity of the seat. I don't put my chairs through anything like the craziness Toto does but I am active.
    Well if you want a seat by strips for have some flex go with velcro, anyway if you fix it with bolts,you will not have the properly flex and could crack in the edges of the holes where i show you in red in the pic. Look what happen to the edges of CF when you go down a curb for example, velcro let the strips do their natural flex for absorb the jump, you just need CF enough strong for you, but if you fix the edges with bolts ....