Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Carbon fiber solid seat pan by strips.

Re-attaching ADI Seat base trim

I've revived this thread because it has a wealth of information about carbon fiber seat bases.

It is about 1 year after receiving the ADI seat base, and overall we are very happy with it and it is holding up well. Unfortunately, it is just out of warranty and I noticed that the trim has come loose on one side of the seat base and want to make a repair.

I?m not really sure if this is just a matter of trying to separate the trim and reattach it, or if I should also be using some type of adhesive, and if so, what type. I also wonder if I should heat the trim to make it more pliable.

Based on a previous post #124 , JeffH recommended automotive weatherstrip adhesive or perhaps silicone.

I?m going to write to ADI and see what they suggest, and will update this with what I learn. If you click on this photo you can see a larger version where you can really see the honeycomb panel. Luckily, it does not look like any of the carbon fiber laminate has been damaged.

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I realized that I never updated this post with photo's of what we did with using Velcro to mount an ADI seat base. We also have ADI hardware, but we never drilled holes to screw it into the base. After one year, we are very happy with the setup and can easily take out seat base with folding side guards for maintenance or traveling.
    Name:  2013 04 24_2774.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  260.8 KBName:  2013 04 24_2775.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  447.4 KBName:  2013 04 24_2776.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  609.1 KB
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

You can just superglue the edging - have a cloth ready to wipe away excess if necessary - just a drop will do, we use Gorilla brand.

I would put a a drop at every 1" increment in the edging that came off, and just push it back onto the panel.

Thanks Jeff. I heard back about it from ADI also, but forgot to post it. Their recommendation was the same:

The trim can be reapplied, you will need to clean the existing glue off the trim and carbon. Then you can just glue it back on using super glue. We use a LockTite brand superglue, but Gorilla brand superglue works as well. Heating the trim does make it more pliable and easier to work with, but is not necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffAdams View Post
    You can just superglue the edging - have a cloth ready to wipe away excess if necessary - just a drop will do, we use Gorilla brand.

I would put a a drop at every 1" increment in the edging that came off, and just push it back onto the panel.
    Last edited by elarson; 07-30-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I realized that I never updated this post with photo's of what we did with using Velcro to mount an ADI seat base. We also have ADI hardware, but we never drilled holes to screw it into the base. After one year, we are very happy with the setup and can easily take out seat base with folding side guards for maintenance or traveling.

I did the same several years ago.

Also tossed the ADI seat hardware - it's not needed for strength or any other reason - just velcro works fine.
    ADI probably supplies the brackets solely to avoid holes at the edge of the baseboard, which of course aren't needed with the velcro.

Jeff
    Doh!

It was pretty much your setup that I copied JeffH. The pictures you posted earlier in the post helped a lot.

We've kept the brackets on, but I also don't see why they are needed, and we may take it off at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    I did the same several years ago.

Also tossed the ADI seat hardware - it's not needed for strength or any other reason - just velcro works fine.
    ADI probably supplies the brackets solely to avoid holes at the edge of the baseboard, which of course aren't needed with the velcro.

Jeff

Do you happen to know the thickness of the ADI seat pan? Thanks.

These are the specs on our 16" x 18" ADI seat base purchased in 2013:

• Carbon fiber laminate with a Nomex honeycomb core "sandwich panel"
    • CnC machines mounting hardware
    • Thickness: 1/8" / 0.1250mm
    • Trim: 5/16" / 7.93mm
    • Weight seat base w/ mounting hardware: approx. 1.5 lbs / 678 grams
    • Weight mounting hardware: 0.8 lbs / 360 grams
    • Weight seat base: 0.7 lbs / 318 grams
    • Weight limit: 200 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by rye1945 View Post
    Do you happen to know the thickness of the ADI seat pan? Thanks.

I currently have a 1/8th in thick aluminum seat pan and want to switch to carbon fiber.
    I'm 125lbs but workout in my chair and my girlfriend sits on my lap a lot.
    My seat pan is 15in wide and 19in long.
    What material and thickness should I order from dragon plate if I want to route channels out like erickRB's
    Last edited by Wills77; 01-06-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    c6 inc since 2-19-11
    ex pro-am motocross racer
    tilite aero z s2

Quote Originally Posted by Wills77 View Post
    I currently have a 1/8th in thick aluminum seat pan and want to switch to carbon fiber.
    I'm 125lbs but workout in my chair and my girlfriend sits on my lap a lot.
    My seat pan is 15in wide and 19in long.
    What material and thickness should I order from dragon plate if I want to route channels out like erickRB's
    The question is what's the weight of your girl friend and what she will do seating a lot on your laps to determinate the necessary thickness lol