Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber solid seat pan by strips.

Attached Images

I think I will go this route.

Heyyas, I'm almost ready to make the jump to this setup, but i've got a couple concerns.

I weigh about 190lb, and when I transfer, I put alot of pressure on the areas I circled on Totol1's pic.

When I talked to the dragon plate rep, and sent him the cad drawing of my TR, he had concerns about using two seperate sheets of CF. I planned on using one for the dump, and another for the seat angle (both being the 3/16" birch core).

Has anyone with the CF seat pan had issues doing transfers with cracking?
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

Quote Originally Posted by Reed-edm View Post
    Heyyas, I'm almost ready to make the jump to this setup, but i've got a couple concerns.

I weigh about 190lb, and when I transfer, I put alot of pressure on the areas I circled on Totol1's pic.

When I talked to the dragon plate rep, and sent him the cad drawing of my TR, he had concerns about using two seperate sheets of CF. I planned on using one for the dump, and another for the seat angle (both being the 3/16" birch core).

Has anyone with the CF seat pan had issues doing transfers with cracking?
    That is quite a unique frame. 4.5" of dump over only 10" of seat rail is definitely extreme.

I'd be concerned about the front section staying put with Velcro. At that angle, I would think that the areas where you apply pressure could create sheering forces strong enough to separate the Velcro.

I'm also wondering if the reason you are thinking about CF by strips seat pan is to eliminate sag in your upholstery. On this particular frame, isn't some sag almost essential in order for your body to conform to those angles? Might a sheet of 1/16" or 1/8" ABS plastic inserted inside your cushion cover used with your current upholstery work better? A heat gun could be used to replicate the ergo bend angle so that it could be a single piece. It would add rigidity, but still have some give.

Quote Originally Posted by totoL1 View Post
    Anyway, do you think your chair with bolts is going to look cleaner than this one?
    Only with velcro attachment? How strong will it hold?
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    That is quite a unique frame. 4.5" of dump over only 10" of seat rail is definitely extreme.

I'd be concerned about the front section staying put with Velcro. At that angle, I would think that the areas where you apply pressure could create sheering forces strong enough to separate the Velcro.

I'm also wondering if the reason you are thinking about CF by strips seat pan is to eliminate sag in your upholstery. On this particular frame, isn't some sag almost essential in order for your body to conform to those angles?
    That chair remember me Felipe`s chair(Oracing owner)he`s a quad, but having that dump with ergo seat is very different than without it.

With that dump maybe in transfers the front piece could move backwards to the ergo seat, but that have an easy solution, the seat need to be made in two pieces like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sowseng View Post
    Only with velcro attachment? How strong will it hold?
    In this video in 1:17 to 1:25 you can see how strong hold the velcro i use.
    Last edited by totoL1; 05-19-2011 at 03:58 AM.

I'm also wondering if the reason you are thinking about CF by strips seat pan is to eliminate sag in your upholstery. On this particular frame, isn't some sag almost essential in order for your body to conform to those angles? Might a sheet of 1/16" or 1/8" ABS plastic inserted inside your cushion cover used with your current upholstery work better? A heat gun could be used to replicate the ergo bend angle so that it could be a single piece. It would add rigidity, but still have some give.
    It's more of the seat pan sliding down..I hate adjusting it every couple days. Anyways, a neighbor works in the window industry and I talked to him about a plexiglass/lexan type seatpan. He going to mold two sheets of polycarbonate for me, one .25" and another .5" to see how it goes. He said the .5" would be pretty much bullet proof, but wasn't sure of the weight.. Hopefully in a month or so, I'll have something to show..

I know I can handle the height changes because of the pan no problems. The weight interests me, as I know it's not going to be close to a CF setup.
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

He going to mold two sheets of polycarbonate for me, one .25" and another .5" to see how it goes. He said the .5" would be pretty much bullet proof, but wasn't sure of the weight.. Hopefully in a month or so, I'll have something to show..
    that is going to be heavy, doing in it with a .5" sheet of playwood would be a better and cheaper.

Another option you`ve got is doing it with layers of fiber glass clothes but using epoxi resine that give much more strenght to the fiber glass and will be much cheaper than CF.

It's more of the seat pan sliding down..I hate adjusting it every couple days. Anyways, a neighbor works in the window industry and I talked to him about a plexiglass/lexan type seatpan. He going to mold two sheets of polycarbonate for me, one .25" and another .5" to see how it goes. He said the .5" would be pretty much bullet proof, but wasn't sure of the weight.. Hopefully in a month or so, I'll have something to show..

I know I can handle the height changes because of the pan no problems. The weight interests me, as I know it's not going to be close to a CF setup.
    That seat angle is between 20-30 degrees! What type of seat pan are you currently using? I wonder if using ADI's seat pan hardware could secure the front section on the frame?

One issue with Lexan is that it becomes brittle when cold.

That seat angle is between 20-30 degrees! What type of seat pan are you currently using? I wonder if using ADI's seat pan hardware could secure the front section on the frame?

I'm using the sling style seat pan now. It's a 22 degree angle. I'm still thinking of mounting options. Theres no way I'm going to drill into my frame to secure the pan, that much I do know.

Not too worried about cold, since I never stay outside when it's cold anyways.
    ---------
    C5-6 / '88

FWIW, This hasn't been my experience. I've used it on a 4x4 that lives outside.