Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Carbon fiber solid seat pan by strips.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Carbon fiber solid seat pan by strips.

Hi guys.

Finally here is the result, very cool for my taste and the best of all, they work like a suspension.
    I want to say if something works for me, be sure that will work for you, because i take things to the limit, i don`t like been sitting in a chair been carefully and going down curbs slow because i`m afraid if it breaks.

Before i have did test with playwood strips, and all was ok until i start going down curbs, no problem if i did it slow but if i jump it the strips crack, so i was changing sizes of strips and thickness until they don`t crack.
    After that knowing how strong was the strip of playwood and comparing with carbon fiber i did some calculations, and i wasn`t sure that the solid seat pan with 3mm thickness that Oracing was going to give me will work for strips, so i told them that i didn`t want it because i was going for a thicker sheet for my strips.

My weight is around 180lbs, so depending weights we will have to go for differents sizes of strips or thickness.
    Now what i have to see is the lifetime of this, but i don`t think there will be any problem, because CF have a good fatigue life, so that, i will see it with the time.

Another thing i want to say, is that all carbon fiber are not the same, they are differents ways to do it, putting the CF layers in different directions, different CF clothes, etc. So maybe you think is the same, but sheets with the same thickness could be very different, i post a pic where you can see two sheet done different, look the layers in the sides, one is much stronger than the other and you could go with a thinner sheet with the sheet of the top.

I did this video for you can see what i`m speaking about, sorry for my english.

Here you`ve got a bunch of pics.

Last edited by totoL1; 10-09-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Another few pics, i only add 239 grames to my chair.

Totally cool. You're amazing!!

And it's all held on with Velcro? That gives me some pause. How well will that hold up over time?

You might want to add some protective edge guard stripping around some of the strips, at least the one in the front to keep it from scratching you.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Totally cool. You're amazing!!

And it's all held on with Velcro? That gives me some pause. How well will that hold up over time?

You might want to add some protective edge guard stripping around some of the strips, at least the one in the front to keep it from scratching you.
    Well, this is just an experiment, so the easiest way to fix it was with velcro, anyway it works ok, i was the last month with the playwood strips fixed with velcro without any problem and the advantage you`ve got it`s that you can take out your seat pan in a second for clean better all the frame.
    You can understand that i`m not going to open holes in my frame for fix it with bolts, if i have problems in a future i will think another way, maybe with bridas, i don`t know the name in english.

About the edges of the strips don`t worry, you don`t see it, but all they are sanded, so you can`t get scrath with them.

What thickness CF did you choose for the seat strips? Do you feel that you could have gone thinner? Are you a now a fan of suspension, this version of it anyway?

And, again, Bravo!! With locking hubs, CF back rest and single-sided caster forks, your chair is pretty much my ideal.

What thickness CF did you choose for the seat strips? Do you feel that you could have gone thinner? Are you a now a fan of suspension, this version of it anyway?

And, again, Bravo!! With locking hubs, CF back rest and single-sided caster forks, your chair is pretty much my ideal.

i use .017", going for thinner? Not recommend for 180lbs.

I`m not a fan of suspension chairs, i think i will never buy a chair with suspension, for my daily use i don`t need a bike suspension, but this is different, i only add 239 grames, the rigidity of my frame still exactly the same and you don`t see nothing, even the frame look cleaner now, i don`t have clothes strips around the tubes.

P.D: And your chair with CF sideguards will be near to my ideal too

Last edited by totoL1; 10-09-2010 at 01:09 PM.

That looks great. Nice job. I bet you could go thicker in the rear and thinner behind the knees. I might want a little less flex, since I have access to a suspension chair if I want to use one. My therapist recommended an ergo seat for me, and this is a terrific mod for that frame style, in particular. Kudos!

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    That looks great. Nice job. I bet you could go thicker in the rear and thinner behind the knees. !
    That is what i thought too, and i did it with playwood and have a few cracks in the front strips in transfers, remember when you transfer to the chair, usually all the weight of your body go to the front part of the seat, and after you go behind.

What you can see is that the rear strip of the ergo part is deeper than the others.

. I might want a little less flex, !
    Don`t think that you are going to be like a yoyo in the chair, i did this morning my 10km ride and was perfect, you only will notice the flex over bumps, transfers to the chair and going up and down curbs, but in good paviments you don`t feel nothing, just like normal uphostery.
    Last edited by totoL1; 10-09-2010 at 02:44 PM.

My therapist recommended an ergo seat for me, and this is a terrific mod for that frame style, in particular. Kudos!
    What did they tout as a benefit of the ergo seat?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    What did they tout as a benefit of the ergo seat?
    You know the line, straight off the marketing brochure. No different.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.