Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modeling my next chair . . .

Modeling my next chair . . .

I am posting this to share ideas, encourage other chair users to think outside the box, and offer free CAD services to those of you CCC members who want to see what their chair ideas look like or bounce mod ideas off me (PM me if you're interested).

In about three weeks I'm scheduled to get fitted for a new chair (my third). After exhaustive research and suggestion/confirmation from an experienced PT (Minneapolis VA SCID Clinic), I'll be requesting (and am told I'll be approved for) a TiLite TR3. My current chair is a TiLite AeroZ1, which I love and have modified/adjusted extensively to fit and serve me well. I've experimented; some mods have not helped, but many have; I've kept only the ones that have helped improve the chair for me, and will be asking for those to be incorporated into my next chair.

Because several of my desired mods are unusual &/or controversial (and they cost extra), I've drawn a 3D model of my desired TR3 configuration in the free version of SketchUp to 1) identify and resolve potential configuration conflicts, and 2) show clinicians that my ideas are well thought out. Some screen shots of my TR3 model can be viewed here.

Partial list of AeroZ helpful mods (incorporated into TR3 model):
    Raised FSH (bought parts), lowered RSH (cut axle mounts), reduced caster size and weight (bought FrogLegs), extended fork trail (w/custom brackets, which are not shown in the model), fashioned ergo seat from solid seat pan, cut off ends of front frame to raise footrest, switched to rigid backrest (Roho Jetsream Pro - Low 4-PointPro ? off eBay), modified backrest canes to enable home-made QR for JetStream (not shown in the model).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Interesting. You have 2 camber tube, is it for hand bike or something else?
    Can you teach me step by step how to draw this?
    May be you can make some tutorial on youtube.
    Life is meaningles, though you create the purpose.

The purpose for the second camber tube is for setting the CoG back when using my Rio Mobility DragonFly, which has very poor traction at my normal CoG.

The best way to learn "SketchUp Make" (free version) is to dive in and play around: install the software, and follow their tutorials. Then ask me questions when you need to. How much CAD experience do you have?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Those are very informative drawings, congratulations.
    Chas, try printing a copy and scaling the deminsions against what is shown. I compared the dump, 4 inches, and compared it to what you show from the rsh to the rigidizer bar of 5 inches. They appear to have the same elevation ends. Other areas don't seem to measure right either. BTW, did I miss seat width?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Those are very informative drawings, congratulations.
    Chas, try printing a copy and scaling the deminsions against what is shown. I compared the dump, 4 inches, and compared it to what you show from the rsh to the rigidizer bar of 5 inches. They appear to have the same elevation ends. Other areas don't seem to measure right either. BTW, did I miss seat width?
    Thanks. Because I'm using the Free version of Sketchup, scaling from the screen captures isn't possible. Within the actual Sketchup file, the dimensions are determined automatically from what's drawn. The Pro version is beyond my budget.

Seat width is shown here.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    Thanks. Because I'm using the Free version of Sketchup, scaling from the screen captures isn't possible. Within the actual Sketchup file, the dimensions are determined automatically from what's drawn. The Pro version is beyond my budget.

Seat width is shown here.
    Do you know if the free program prints the to scale? I don't mean screen capture, I mean file/print.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    The purpose for the second camber tube is for setting the CoG back when using my Rio Mobility DragonFly, which has very poor traction at my normal CoG.
    This is an absolutely brilliant idea.

Here is a video of my screen (about 5 minutes) while I manipulate the Sketchup file.

Last edited by chasmengr; 01-16-2015 at 03:48 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Do you know if the free program prints the to scale? I don't mean screen capture, I mean file/print.
    It does not. Pro does with connection of capable printer/plotter.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 01-16-2015 at 03:47 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

This is an absolutely brilliant idea.
    Thanks

Drawing it to scale in 3D revealed critical details regarding camber and clearances: Front wheels have 4DEG camber and 1" spacing; Rear wheels have 6DEG camber and 1/2" spacing. (Not shown: Rear axle is mounted on amputee adapters.) Drawing it also revealed the fendered sideguards should work in one position for both front and rear wheel locations if it's positioned correctly. (I guessed at some component dimensions because TiLite doesn't publish them.)
    Last edited by chasmengr; 01-16-2015 at 03:48 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>