Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needing the opinion of LT SCI Individuals, Dr. Young or SCI Nurses

350mg of hydrocodone? twice a day? i think thats enough to kill a horse! i'm just curious cause you say under medicated...thats almost an entire bottle of my scrip. according to my DR. 7.5mg is the second highest single dose! 350mg would be like 45 of them.
    "Impossible is Nothing" - Adidas Slogan

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    350mg of hydrocodone? twice a day? i think thats enough to kill a horse! i'm just curious cause you say under medicated...thats almost an entire bottle of my scrip. according to my DR. 7.5mg is the second highest single dose! 350mg would be like 45 of them.
    Hi James, I believe Smoky (and Smoky, please correct me if I'm wrong) may be referring to the acetaminophen base in his medication, generally sold under the brand name Norco. It's a 7.5 or 10 mg hydrocodone bitartrate and a 325 mg acetaminophen mix medication. Hopefully, that clears up the indiscrepancy about dosing. Patty
    Last edited by Patty41; 10-13-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dejerine View Post
    Patty

Very sorry to hear of what has happened to you and that is not an idle comment. I have never met anyone with severe central pain who did not have moments of wondering what life could possibly offer. There is sometimes the feeling of "Well, this adventure is over with, and I lost, so let's get onto the next one".

The thing is, that while you live with this feeling, you must admit that you have in fact been learning something. I don't know what it is, but it has to do with compassion for others, even as you wonder why people complain about little problems, and seem to be big babies. This feeling somehow penetrates into your own skull from time to time sufficiently to help you remember at the very worst times that there will be better times.

There will be that exceptional day when you saw something good happening in the lives of children, or when the fall colors came alive, or when you managed to make a trip to the beach. Then, the savor of life comes back, and you realize, it was for the best, that you were making progress as an individual, even though you felt awful, were misunderstood, were lost in the shuffle of humanity, and were absolutely unable to figure out what was going on in life.

There are many here going on three decades of central pain, and on balance, the really rotten years, were nevertheless able to do something that makes you glad you didn't miss certain things even if you have no conscious reason to look forward to tomorrow.

The really ugly night is more often than not followed by some sort of enlightenment or even joy when the sun comes out and the impossible night fades into the past. The better time usually comes after you managed to get beyond some problem, followed by an unexpected time when you managed to get some rest, despite the burning of the sheets on your skin.

Do I sound morbid? I am one who has to kind of get upset to find my motivation. Others do it differently. I am not a "beautiful thought" type of person. I am a "life wasn't supposed to beat me" type of person, so I do not let it win. If all else fails, I can think of Alan and how tough he is.
    Thank you and yes, I can certainly relate to much of your thought processes. Many times throughout this journey I've made some of my best breakthroughs after I've gotten really "mad" at the situation. Often, it adds just enough opposition to create a favorable outcome. Once again, thanks for your thoughts.
    Last edited by Patty41; 10-14-2010 at 08:29 AM.

lol thanks Patty (and I'm a she), I had to look at the blasted bottle, it's a 10 - 325 mgs. So the biggy in mine James is 10mg, and I'm lucky when it gives any relief. But, that's the most they'll give me. If this cocktail does'nt work, they say methadone will be next to try. I'm going to stick with this as long as I can take it, when you're faced with a lifetime of chronic pain, you hate to use up all your options if you don't have to. Plus, I hate the thought of starting off on the bottom once again with another new med. It usually takes about two months to get to the point where a new drug might help. I don't think my nerves can take that again, for awhile anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    lol thanks Patty (and I'm a she), I had to look at the blasted bottle, it's a 10 - 325 mgs. So the biggy in mine James is 10mg, and I'm lucky when it gives any relief. But, that's the most they'll give me. If this cocktail does'nt work, they say methadone will be next to try. I'm going to stick with this as long as I can take it, when you're faced with a lifetime of chronic pain, you hate to use up all your options if you don't have to. Plus, I hate the thought of starting off on the bottom once again with another new med. It usually takes about two months to get to the point where a new drug might help. I don't think my nerves can take that again, for awhile anyway.
    My sincere apologies, Smoky. Need to read profiles before I make any additional assumptions on gender!!!! And yes, I indeed know what you mean. One does not want to run out of pain medication options with another 30 or 40 years to go. I wish you the best of luck in finding an effective combination to relieve your pain and add to the quality your life.

I have little to offer 6+years in. I've tried every drug therapy, stims, injections.

I cold turkeyed from all my narcs/antidepressants in april or so. I lost the seperation from the pain that narcotics give but the relief was minimal and the mental effects severe.

I remain in constant pain but am at least "present" in my own life. My left arm and head are unaffected but all else is.

I'm generally less suicidal although the post the other day may not show it. No close calls since I stopped the drugs with more than a few starts prior. Dark angels follow me though.

I try to live the best I can and someday will likely opt out as I seem to be deteriorating with less and less "good" days. I have a "dead list" of things to do that I am mostly through but begrudgingly add things and events because of family, it helps, I see things accomplished, I see a path to the end, and I recognize events/things worth working through the pain to accomplish.

The drugs have wreaked havoc on my liver which is now ailing that my age and with a few other medical complications I know that my run here is likely shorter anyway I seem to manage a bit better, if that makes any sense.

Were there a protocol that worked I'd be on it like white on rice, but to date nothing has helped.

I think for me just accepting the reality of CP as a part of my life has helped a bit as I no longer ride the roller coaster of hope and the ensuing crash of another failed protocol.

I can occasionally find solace in the 23rd 38th and 121st Psalm and I meditate on them.

Bit more of a ramble than anticipated.

All that I am is all gone
    Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

You're right about accepting the reality of CP, Bill. Every time I tried another new drug, I had high hopes for the results and would suffer a crash when they did'nt work that was as bad as dealing with the pain. I finally figured out, or accepted the fact, that no drug is going to "cure" it. I'm just grateful I did'nt give up and at least found one that improved quality of life. By no means is it perfect, and I have more bad days than I care to count, but it is better and I try to focus on the good days.

I pray that some day they come up with something for cp that really helps those suffering.

Blog Entries
    I followed the lure of a cure for 3 or 4 years. I worked with Dr. Christine Sang at MGH, now at Women's and Brigham doing pain studies, tried botox injections, acupuncture, 4 or 5 types of massage. In all of that time I *did* find one thing that really worked; phenobarbital given intravenously. Too bad it's not practical. Eight years ago, I realized that I was spending my life obsessing about pain and stopped looking for total relief. I now take only 50 mg of tramadol every 8 hours, which keeps the pain somewhat muted. I stay busy and don't let the pain keep my attention, because when I think about it, it's really bad. Just writing this has about tripled my awareness of how bad it is, so I'm going to go and do some exercises and get ready for bed. Pain will never be our friend, but for many of us it is our constant companion and it behooves us to try to understand it and learn to coexist. Be aware that it won't come easy or quickly.

Don
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Donno - may I ask what kind of pain you are treating? Is it burning? Did you have a spinal cord injury at what level - complete or incomplete? I couldn't tell from your public profile.... How long have you been stable on Tramadol at 50mg every 8 hours?

Are you able to carry on with life without the pain effecting you much if you stay busy?

You must have had very sophisticated care at MGH, what a great hospital.