Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If he would have lived, John Lennon.....

He wouldn't have aged like that. Do you think he wasn't the type to get plastic surgery and all that? He would have at least coloured his hair, like Paul McCartney (wasn't there a thread around here about men colouring their hair??? lol)

The part that saddens me is how much politicial influence he *might* have had.

I remember bee-bopping into the kitchen as a kid, and my mother watching the tv all sad. She told me who died and I knew it was big, but I couldn't appreciate how big until I was an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    He wouldn't have aged like that. Do you think he wasn't the type to get plastic surgery and all that? He would have at least coloured his hair, like Paul McCartney (wasn't there a thread around here about men colouring their hair??? lol)

The part that saddens me is how much politicial influence he *might* have had.

I remember bee-bopping into the kitchen as a kid, and my mother watching the tv all sad. She told me who died and I knew it was big, but I couldn't appreciate how big until I was an adult.
    Yeah maybe he would have colored his hair and so forth who knows, but remember he wasn't the "pretty boy" that McCartney was

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    GJ,

When is the movie supposed to come out? Any info about it?
    Nowhere Boy Review from the Wall Street Journal:
    In "Nowhere Boy," a modest and enjoyable account of the young John Lennon (who would have been 70 this week), the camera glances fleetingly at a small "Strawberry Field" sign in front of a Liverpool house. What would we have thought of Sam Taylor-Wood's debut feature if the fruit of the sign had been blueberry, or if the hero's touchingly young band mate had been a kid named Peter instead of Paul? We might still have found her film to be modest and enjoyable, albeit less resonant, a coming-of-age drama about a gifted youngster caught in a no-boy's land between a stern aunt who raises him and a loving mom who's too tormented to mother him.

John is played by Aaron Johnson, who makes him a strong presence, and a credible one. You can imagine that Lennon's prodigious outpouring of pop poetry—the movie ends before the Quarrymen became the Beatles—was beginning to form in the fertile mind of this likable 15-year-old with a cocky facade and a tender soul. The creative process is almost audible in a silent moment when John turns an adoring gaze on the curvaceous body of his first guitar. (The reliably fine shooter Seamus McGarvey did the cinematography.)

The script, adapted by Matt Greenhalgh from a memoir by Lennon's half-sister, Julia Baird, is flagrantly Oedipal; almost every scene between John and his mother is sexually charged. The curse is taken off most of these encounters by Anne-Marie Duff's eloquent work in the mother's role—beautiful as a seductress in spite of herself, affecting as a woman with a wild child's impulses. And "Nowhere Boy," which was directed by a woman, gives another enviable role to the brilliant Kristin Scott Thomas. Her Aunt Mimi isn't beautiful, at least on the outside: she buries her features beneath thick powder, marches around in dowdy clothes and looks old beyond her years. When the time comes for truths to be told, though, Ms. Scott Thomas fires off volleys of passion that transform Mimi from a prim martinet into a powerfully loving influence in John's life.

The movie was actually released in the UK Christmas 2009 and was released October 8 in the US.
    View the trailer:
    http://www.breakingentertainmentnews...railer/8888108

In case you missed the Google Doodle today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsN_1J4lWcw

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Nowhere Boy Review from the Wall Street Journal:
    In "Nowhere Boy," a modest and enjoyable account of the young John Lennon (who would have been 70 this week), the camera glances fleetingly at a small "Strawberry Field" sign in front of a Liverpool house. What would we have thought of Sam Taylor-Wood's debut feature if the fruit of the sign had been blueberry, or if the hero's touchingly young band mate had been a kid named Peter instead of Paul? We might still have found her film to be modest and enjoyable, albeit less resonant, a coming-of-age drama about a gifted youngster caught in a no-boy's land between a stern aunt who raises him and a loving mom who's too tormented to mother him.

John is played by Aaron Johnson, who makes him a strong presence, and a credible one. You can imagine that Lennon's prodigious outpouring of pop poetry—the movie ends before the Quarrymen became the Beatles—was beginning to form in the fertile mind of this likable 15-year-old with a cocky facade and a tender soul. The creative process is almost audible in a silent moment when John turns an adoring gaze on the curvaceous body of his first guitar. (The reliably fine shooter Seamus McGarvey did the cinematography.)

The script, adapted by Matt Greenhalgh from a memoir by Lennon's half-sister, Julia Baird, is flagrantly Oedipal; almost every scene between John and his mother is sexually charged. The curse is taken off most of these encounters by Anne-Marie Duff's eloquent work in the mother's role—beautiful as a seductress in spite of herself, affecting as a woman with a wild child's impulses. And "Nowhere Boy," which was directed by a woman, gives another enviable role to the brilliant Kristin Scott Thomas. Her Aunt Mimi isn't beautiful, at least on the outside: she buries her features beneath thick powder, marches around in dowdy clothes and looks old beyond her years. When the time comes for truths to be told, though, Ms. Scott Thomas fires off volleys of passion that transform Mimi from a prim martinet into a powerfully loving influence in John's life.

The movie was actually released in the UK Christmas 2009 and was released October 8 in the US.
    View the trailer:
    http://www.breakingentertainmentnews...railer/8888108

In case you missed the Google Doodle today:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsN_1J4lWcw

All the best,
    GJ
    thanks for the info GL, yeah saw the google doodle Heard the live acoustic version of Imagine today, it's so good, too bad they don't play it more often

mary

The musical performers around today wouldn't know a good guitar riff even if it hit them in the head. This is how it's done:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XtdQTLL-XU

Quote Originally Posted by PaidMyDues View Post
    The musical performers around today wouldn't know a good guitar riff even if it hit them in the head. This is how it's done:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XtdQTLL-XU
    Quote Originally Posted by PaidMyDues View Post

I think i am drowning in nostalgia today

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    aww cass In many ways i would imagine. The perception of time is so odd isn't it, sometimes if feels like "yesterday" and other times "so far away..."

I love your pic

Here's an early tune with a great guitar hook and great drumming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNTkHWqifXY