Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colostomy Questions

I'm so glad this thread was posted I too have started to look into getting a colostomy and recently spoke to a Dr. and critical care nurse about the procedure. However I am a C 4/5 and it's doubtful I could change or empty the bag on my own and in fact the nurse suggested I might want to go with a disposable bag she tells me insurance will cover two bags a day 60 a month and thinks that should be sufficient. Has anyone tried the disposables, I'm thinking that would be the way to go instead of having to have someone empty the bag. Like Starlord I have a brace/belt that goes around my midsection for support but I'm sure it can be altered.
    Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
    I'm so glad this thread was posted I too have started to look into getting a colostomy and recently spoke to a Dr. and critical care nurse about the procedure. However I am a C 4/5 and it's doubtful I could change or empty the bag on my own and in fact the nurse suggested I might want to go with a disposable bag she tells me insurance will cover two bags a day 60 a month and thinks that should be sufficient. Has anyone tried the disposables, I'm thinking that would be the way to go instead of having to have someone empty the bag. Like Starlord I have a brace/belt that goes around my midsection for support but I'm sure it can be altered.
    In my previous posts, I spoke to the fact that I use a one piece drainable pouch. There are two piece systems composed of a skin barrier and a bag as well (and some other variants). In a one piece system these two components are married (with a pretty strong glue I believe). In a two piece system the seal occurs when a plastic ring on the bag snaps into a complimentary ring on the skin barrier. The skin barrier is changed every 3-5 days and the bags 1-3 times daily. I get free samples of them sometimes and use them then.

I would call Edgepark Surgical (800-321-0591) and tell them you are contemplating getting a colostomy and want to get a sample of their colostomy products (an irrigation system, a drainable one-piece, a closed one-piece, a drainable two-piece, a closed two-piece and some colostomy care literature,...). Unless, they've become real tight-wads, they should be free. If not then locate an ostomy nurse and ask her/him for the samples. This will allow you to get your head around it a little better with the actual equipment in hand.

Good luck with whatever path you take.