Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those who were interested, My AFO, Me - Leg Attached:) and my Son:)

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    That looks ideal, Mary! I like the fact that it supports your entire foot, and even though it's bulkier than most shoes will accommodate, it's a lot more streamlined than most AFOs. Excellent! And nowadays there are so many attractive sports shoes with wide enough toe boxes to allow for the brace.

My AFO looks a bit different, because my foot has no ankle action at all...so it has a hinge at the ankle to help with dorsiflexion. It's not quite right for me, but the new one will be better.

Here's to many happy hours of walking and exercising and gaining strength!
    thanks bonnette good luck with your new one too and your PT. Keep me updated

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    The AFO is an ankle foot orthotic and it lifts the ball of my foot off the ground so I am not dragging it. I dont have full foot drop, but the tibialis anterior muscle is very weak due to the cord compression i sustained for at least a year. At one time I could barely hold myself up. the decompression surgery, fusion, removal of the bone spurs that were pushing into my spinal cord, I have regained some return, although i will never be "normal". I really attibute a lot of it to PT to tell you the truth because I had been compensating for so long i "forgot" the mechanics of walking.
    Oh, wow! I had no idea we had so much in common regarding our injuries. I can remember my left leg becoming weak on me weeks before the surgery to place rods in my back. Well, of course, they only ended compressing my cord even more, which lead to full incomplete paralysis. I had a decompression four months later with high hopes for return, but the damage had set in. I totally relate to your story, though, because in my own way I've experienced cord compression problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Oh, wow! I had no idea we had so much in common regarding our injuries. I can remember my left leg becoming weak on me weeks before the surgery to place rods in my back. Well, of course, they only ended compressing my cord even more, which lead to full incomplete paralysis. I had a decompression four months later with high hopes for return, but the damage had set in. I totally relate to your story, though, because in my own way I've experienced cord compression problems.
    gee i'm sorry todd, that you didnt get the outcome you i'm sure expected going into the surgery, i dont know what to say, you are so young. I was told by the SCI nurse here, that she has many people in the clinic that had cervical spondylotic myelopathy like me, had there cords decompressed and came out of the surgery paralyzed. What compressed your cord to begin with do you know?

It took me a long time to come to the pic you see with the AFO. Before I knew what was wrong with me, of course I had the neck arm finger pain, weakness, numbness skin burning in my arms which has alot of nerve damage but I didnt know my cord was compressed. One day my gait just got funny, and a couple months later i woke up one day and couldnt stand long enough to make a cup of tea. So when they finally figured out what it was, my gait was waxing and waning from so so to really really bad. So while i'm grateful to walk, I will never walk "normal" again, probably never run and so forth. I can walk, but all the 5 year olds can beat me I have bad pain from the nerve damage and some bladder issues, balance stuff, you know, but it has gotten better too.

Well Todd, I dont know you, but by reading your posts you write; the sometimes a little obnoxious ones, the many funny ones, the serious ones, and the ones I like the best where you are very very compassionate when you see someone is hurting. I HAVE READ them Your a good guy
    Last edited by marycsm77; 10-09-2010 at 11:09 AM.

I use a similar AFO in Piedro boots and find they help me to be able to take a few steps, I have Ataxia though so still need something to hold onto but means I can at least get into family members houses easier and local shops/pubs which are small and not adapted (live in village in Yorkshire, UK)

I can use rollator with them around house for a while and use crutches just to just go in car to families house and they help.

I'd like to be able to stand for longer but my arms shake after trying to hold myself up for a while and can't use arms to do anything whilst I'm holding myself up with them.

Quote Originally Posted by marycsm77 View Post
    Well Todd, I dont know you, but by reading your posts you write; the sometimes a little obnoxious ones, the many funny ones, the serious ones, and the ones I like the best where you are very very compassionate when you see someone is hurting. I HAVE READ them Your a good guy
    Thank you.

Here's pics of my boots and splints:
    http://katilea.wordpress.com/2010/09...g-muscle-tone/

Kati