Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Berkeley Electronic's eLegs

Berkeley Electronic's eLegs

Has anyone ever seen these? WOW, I would love to figure out how much they cost and if they are in the marketplace yet.

Would you use them? I have never seen anything like them.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/10/07...her-legs-back/

Here is another link.
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/...alk-again.html

They will be going for about $100K, according to that site I hope that price will go down drastically so we can all get one

if it's as good as these reports lead one to believe, I'll find a way to drum up $100k.

looks badass.

What a great step in the right direction. Pun intended. I'm in when they can run, for sure. Just hobbling around with a walker? Not quite worth $100k for that, but I sure hope lots of other people think it is, so products like this continue to develop.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I've just gotten [mentally] tired of wheeling around after almost 12yrs. I almost feel like this is a "price is only an issue in the absence of value" kind of thing, even if only used part time. But yeah, $100k is an awful lot for a 1st gen product.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    What a great step in the right direction. Pun intended. I'm in when they can run, for sure. Just hobbling around with a walker? Not quite worth $100k for that, but I sure hope lots of other people think it is, so products like this continue to develop.
    i am in wish i could get hooked up in a study like that

I saw a live demonstration of the made in Israel ReWalk exoskeleton and while impressive, I think that most of the people in attendance left feeling that the technology is a far way off from practical. The eLegs doesn't seem to offer any functional difference. With respect to the ReWalk, aside from the para who demonstrates it in the video, none of the research subjects trialing it have used it outside of an institutional setting. Walking on uneven surfaces was still a hurdle to be solved. The list of "What ifs?" and "What happens when?" was a long one.

I would love to try one out as well, but until the cost comes WAY down, I wouldn't expect to see one (let alone own one) in the real world for a very long time.

BTW, the ReWalk has not yet been adapted for injuries above ~T4.

I happen to be one of those (annoying) paras who can (barely) walk. If I have a walker, and some smooth ground, I can motor along at about half normal speed for decent distances. After about 400 yards my legs are shaking and I have to give them a break. If the ground is not smooth (like a carpet), then speed drops fast.

What is my point?

Well, basically, I can walk slightly better than any of the demonstrations in the video, and yet I would not classify my ability as a means of transport. It's slightly better than a party trick. Although standing up at home helps around the kitchen etc.

So, while this is a tantalizing video and may offer a glimpse of things to come....I wouldn't recommend anyone shelling out $100k. The novelty of standing and hobbling around wears off pretty fast.

Having said that, I was really touched by the reaction of that lady.....it took me back to my first steps.....

This is what I want.....would be great with my walker.....full steam ahead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdK2y...layer_embedded#!