Thread: Just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes

Unhappy Just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes

So it was a fun morning...after going in to the doc to get my medical release for SCI Recovery Project I mentioned that I've been really thirsty all the time lately. They did a blood-sugar test and apparently 338 is an EPIC FAIL. I got sent over to an endocrinologist and they are 95% sure it is type 1, but either way I've got this fun new insulin regiment.

Let me first say that I'm super thankful this is treatable/manageable and my wife as always has been amazingly supportive. So cheers for having a great wife, modern medicine, and insurance.

As a C5/6 quad the needles and meter are a bit beyond my dexterity. Does anyone have a great quad solution? We've started talking about the pump and that seems like a good possibility.

Anything else I need to know from the other SCI/diabetics out there?

Thanks,

Justin

Cool

Just what you needed, eh? My brother, of whom I am a caregiver, is also a Type I, C5. He's been Type I for about 40 years and managed well before SCI, exercise is a big part of staying healthy and he was very athletic. In the ten years post-SCI his A1c has gone up a point to 7.5, but we feel this is an accomplishment, given the activity restriction of his SCI and other physical problems from the accident. Used to count carbs but have found that a healthy diet works. I think Jim had fast food once in the last ten years! His weight has never gone up since his accident and he has had no sores.
    It pays to keep a close eye on blood sugars, remember that high blood sugars= damage to body if consistent, and healing time can be longer. Get into a diabetes clinic and learn the ropes, get your vision checked once a year-tell them your diabetic. Watch your feet. That's all I can think of to suggest now. Jim uses Humalog and Lantus insulin, so he gets about 3 to 4 injections/day, since he isn't a candidate for a pump. It's second nature now.

Thanks for the advice! I'm curious why your brother isn't a candidate for the pump? Thanks again,

Justin

Great that you were on top of it. They will set you up with all types of classes for your testing device (meter) and everything. Yes, there are lots of things you need to know about Diabetes- whether Type I or Type II. It affects practically every organ in your body and needs to be CONTROLLED. And if controlled, you will be healthy. It is all about control and prevention. So call and ask them about the classes. Go to the American Diabetes Association Website and read the information there to get started.
    Not really anything to do with SCI.
    CWO

Smile

I've had diabetes for 40 years and am 9 years post SCI. With the pump, blood glucose tester and consistent exercise, you should be able to control it at a normal or near normal sugar level. Good luck!

Type I Diabetic, 34 years

Hi,

Personally. I don't utilize the pump. It appeared, for me, to complicated. In addition, I felt it MAY cause a number of highs and lows which would be frustrating for me.

SLIDING SCALE

If my blood sugar is 150 or below, I wouldn't take any fast acting insulin. (Novolog.) If my BS is 151-200, I would take TWO units Fast acting insulin, (Novolog). If it read 201-250, I would take FOUR units of Novolog. 251-300 = SIX units. 301-350 = EIGHT units. EIGHT units is what you would take for your 338 blood suger. This is a very passive insulin scale. There are more aggresive scales you can discuss with your doctor. You could have your wife or caregiver give you the shots. They don't hurt at all.

COUNTING CARBS

In addition to that, I count the amount carbs. You are about to eat breakfast. If you had eggs, bacon and a couple pieces of toast for breakfast, you would only look on the package of bread to caculate the amount of carbs per serving. You don't take ANY insulin for protein. Maybe just one unit but no more than that. My carb ratio is 10 grams of carbs equals one unit of Novolog Insulin. If the two pcs. of bread ='s 100 gram of carbs, I would take TEN units to cover that. Again, you would not take ANY insulin for the eggs and bacon because they don't have any carbs, for the most part.

To follow, is an example of what I have written above:

This morning your BS was 338. I need EIGHT units of Novolog for that.
    Your breakfast which I listed above, is a total of 100 grams of carbs, so I will take FIVE units of Novolog. I would take a grand total of EIGHTEEN units. EIGHT + TEN = EIGHTEEN. You would do the same routine for lunch.

I certainly hope I havn't confused you because we are not done yet!

I also take Lantus insulin one time a day, at bedtime. It is long acting insulin that works in the background of the fast acting insulin 24 hours. Personally, I take 45 units. This amount would be determined by your physician..

Again, this dialog may be overwhelming (sp). This is only a alternitive to the pump, You can review both sides with your physician. Hang in there and....

I Wish You The Best!

Michael
    Last edited by michael5462; 10-07-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Michael, this is really helpful. They've got me on Humalog (which is like Novolog), three units before meals, and 10 units of Lantus at night (upping 2 units every three nights), but this just for the first two weeks. After that I think I start the process you mentioned. How much hand function do you have? My main interest in the pump is my lack of dexterity.

Great post! Thanks and I'll have more questions.

Just a question on a oral diabetes med. Would anyone happen to know if Glipizide er or any other diabetic medication can cause loose stool or diarrhea? Just wondering. Someone I know has been having that problem and was wondering if the oral diabetes med was causing it. Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries

Sense of chronic thirst, or chronic dry mouth?

[QUOTE=JayColorado;1268744]So it was a fun morning...after going in to the doc to get my medical release for SCI Recovery Project I mentioned that I've been really thirsty all the time lately. They did a blood-sugar test and apparently 338 is an EPIC FAIL. I got sent over to an endocrinologist and they are 95% sure it is type 1, but either way I've got this fun new insulin regiment.

Let me first say that I'm super thankful this is treatable/manageable and my wife as always has been amazingly supportive. So cheers for having a great wife, modern medicine, and insurance.

As a C5/6 quad the needles and meter are a bit beyond my dexterity. Does anyone have a great quad solution? We've started talking about the pump and that seems like a good possibility.

Anything else I need to know from the other SCI/diabetics out there?

Type 1 diabetes;
    Just out of curiosity, what is the difference in sensation, drymouth & thirst?
    Thanks,

I'm not sure I understand the question.