Thread: Newbie wants advice for first trip

Question Newbie wants advice for first trip

I have an opportunity to present a paper at a conference in a couple of months - I am only 2 months post injury and have neither traveled by plane nor stayed at a hotel nor got through the bowel program without help -
    I would need to take a chair for the bowel program (which is my primary concern) and a transfer board -

Any insite first plane trips (alone) and first stays in hotels

Hi Icarus,
    Congratulations on being asked to present a paper.

You don't mention your level of injury in you thread or in your profile and of course that can make a lot of difference in what you need and how folks respond. First, try doing a search on this site. "Airline travel" may yield a number of results that will give you many tips on how to fly the friendly skies.

Upon getting to your destination, what are your plans for ground transportation?

It could be quite cumbersome and embarrassing to travel on an airplane with your regular commode chair as part of your luggage. However, there are some folding commode chairs with travel bags available, if you would want to make an investment in a portable one, Alternatively, you may want to check with your hotel. Many hotels have shower benches and might possibly have a commode chair for your use during your stay. As a general rule, we always make reservations at a hotel by contacting the property at which we will be staying. By doing so, you can ask questions about wheelchair accessibility of the hotel and rooms, equipment available for your use, size and number of beds in the accessible rooms, and make it clear that your request for an accessible hotel room is a necessity and requirement of your stay.

Regarding your airline travel, you should make yourself completely aware of your rights as a person with a disability. Here is a website with a summary of the Department of Transportation's rules:
    http://airconsumer.dot.gov/publications/disabled.htm
    There have been some revisions to these rules and you can read more about those revisions at:
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Revised-La...ers&id=2333548

When I began traveling, my father made a shorter transfer board for me that fit into my luggage. You might look into having an existing travel board modified for travel purposes.

Hope this helps get you started on your journey. Try a Google search "airline travel with a disability." You will find lots of information. If you have some more questions, just ask. Good luck and happy travels.

All the best,
    GJ

i've got some plane travel info on my site if u r interested.

Sorry - I am a complete t12

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    2 months? are you wearing the turtle shell? i would book a hotel room close by you and just try that first to see how it goes. that's a big move for 2 months post, especially if you have the turtle shell, it really limits mobility

Whats is a turtle shell ? I am not in anything and at home

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Whats is a turtle shell ? I am not in anything and at home
    do you wear a back brace?

no i don't

ok, let me get this straight. you're a T12, no brace support, 2 months post and use a transfer brd? where in seattle was your rehab?

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    ok, let me get this straight. you're a T12, no brace support, 2 months post and use a transfer brd? where in seattle was your rehab?
    never heard of ANYONE that broke their back and didn't wear a brace. the only other way i've heard of SCI without breaking back(other than disease) is from gunshot wound into spinal cord.