Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Osteomyelitis *yawn*

Thumbs down Osteomyelitis *yawn*

Dear CC:

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated (were there rumors?)--apologies to those who may be saddened by such news.

Rumors of my suboptimal health? Not so exaggerated, sadly.

My goal was to, as always, return after recovering. Only, recovery kept getting pushed further and further back.

The 6-7 month respiratory infection ended mid-to-late April, followed by surmountable lethargy. Then came a pressure sore, then MRSA, and today I learn that I have osteomyelitis in the fifth metatarsal of my left foot.

I have been on oral doxycyclin BID for over two months, and the infectious disease doc and ortho who are following me both recommend amputation as the next (also, first) step.

No IV antibiotics, no nothing--just slice the healthy-looking little piggy right off.

Is amputation the first/next step?

Best,

Steven

p.s., apologies to those I owe responses to--hope you understand.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    Dear CC:

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated (were there rumors?)--apologies to those who may be saddened by such news.

Rumors of my suboptimal health? Not so exaggerated, sadly.

My goal was to, as always, return after recovering. Only, recovery kept getting pushed further and further back.

The 6-7 month respiratory infection ended mid-to-late April, followed by surmountable lethargy. Then came a pressure sore, then MRSA, and today I learn that I have osteomyelitis in the fifth metatarsal of my left foot.

I have been on oral doxycyclin BID for over two months, and the infectious disease doc and ortho who are following me both recommend amputation as the next (also, first) step.

No IV antibiotics, no nothing--just slice the healthy-looking little piggy right off.

Is amputation the first/next step?

Best,

Steven

p.s., apologies to those I owe responses to--hope you understand.
    Steven great to see you on the forums again I was wondering where the hell you were, sorry to here about your sub-optimal health as you say, but glad your a fighter, perhaps you can give the DR's your opinion on what you feel should be the proper course of action for your toe, anyway wishing you the best.
    JimmyMack
    Member: New Jersey Commission on Spinal Cord Reasearch
    http://www.state.nj.us/health/spinalcord/index.shtml

Crap.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Steven, I'll cut to the chase so that I don't forget to answer your most pressing question.

i had a pretty serious bout of osteomyelitis in my leg when I was a teenager. Docs came in, told me the leg had to go. Drew a line on the leg with a ball point pen to show me where. "Good riddance, best thing, you don't need it anyway, it will just get worse ... let's do it right away and get this thing behind you."

Long story short, I nixed the amputation as the first and second option. Eventually the osteo was overcome and I walked on that leg for another thirty some years and it is still useful to me.

So, unless they can convince you that keeping the foot is dangerous, maybe they need to give saving it a shot first. Gotta believe that if they could save my leg back in the days of barber shop surgery and leeches, they might be able to save your foot. Ask them if they would suggest amputation if they thought you valued the foot. I suspect that some element of "he'll never use it, and it's causing him grief" had to factor in.

And yes, there were rumors, but they weren't about your demise. I won't gossip without someone buying me drinks.
    Last edited by Foolish Old; 08-24-2011 at 09:40 PM.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Oh my - Steven you have no idea how happy I am you're among the living !! Juliebug will be requiring the services of a Chemistry tutor this semester and we were kind of counting on you !

Dang I'm so sorry to hear of your travails health wise - I have no doubt you will receive a torrent of replies filled with more worthy advice and considerations than I could ever offer ! Seems to me Lynnifer faced a similar situation some time back but stood her ground (so to speak) vis a vie the amputaton question !

I will simply offer my prayers to the powers that be for nothing less than a complete and speedy recovery for you - CC would be nothing without your nerdy brain overseeing all for heavens sake {{{{hug}}} - please feel better soon !! You've been sorely missed !

Obie
    Last edited by Obieone; 08-24-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Blog Entries
    If it's just the fifth metatarsal (and probably the rest of the toe), I'd probably tell them to go ahead. I'll bet that is where the pressure sore was, too.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Steven! Glad to see you back - re your foot - worse news imaginable!

If this is your first bout with osteo, I'd fight it with IV antibiotics.

I am seriously considering an amputation of my left foot, but only because it's been years of trouble now and I'm tired of dealing with it.

Weigh the risks and don't let them railroad you ... surgeons like to cut ... that's what they do. You have lots of options before it comes to that.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Sorry to hear it, Steven.

Steven, No advice from me of course, but I am overjoyed to see your avatar pop up!

Thanks for the warm welcome back!

My infectious disease doctor said that osteomyelitis can't be cured by antibiotics once it is in the bone--in that particular area, anyway. Factually, is that true or false?

Argh,

Steven
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.