Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body builder protein powder increase life expectancy 10 years

Arrow Body builder protein powder increase life expectancy 10 years

Very interesting indeed!

A protein powder favoured by body builders could hold the secret of a long and healthy life, scientists believe.

Dissolved in water, the mixture built muscle, boosted fitness and improved balance and co-ordination.

Tantalisingly, the powder, which can be bought from health food shops and online, increased life expectancy by 12 per cent.

The amazing results come from animal experiments, but, in human terms, this would equate to an extra 10 years or so of life.

The Italian researchers believe that taken daily from middle-age, the 'elixir of life' powder could help millions look forward to a healthier old age.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz11VtZ2eO4
    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Very interesting indeed!

A protein powder favoured by body builders could hold the secret of a long and healthy life, scientists believe.

Dissolved in water, the mixture built muscle, boosted fitness and improved balance and co-ordination.

Tantalisingly, the powder, which can be bought from health food shops and online, increased life expectancy by 12 per cent.

The amazing results come from animal experiments, but, in human terms, this would equate to an extra 10 years or so of life.

The Italian researchers believe that taken daily from middle-age, the 'elixir of life' powder could help millions look forward to a healthier old age.

I am a wheelchair bodybuilder and there are many supplements we use that are of great benefit to non bodybuilders for general health.
    I'm a WNBF Pro Wheelchair Bodybuilder with national sponsors. Any questions feel free to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Knapp View Post
    I am a wheelchair bodybuilder and there are many supplements we use that are of great benefit to non bodybuilders for general health.
    Such as......? I've been drinking protein shakes (100g/day) for about 6 months and taking 5g creatine/day for about 5 weeks. What else do you use that is beneficial and won't break the bank? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Such as......? I've been drinking protein shakes (100g/day) for about 6 months and taking 5g creatine/day for about 5 weeks. What else do you use that is beneficial and won't break the bank? Thanks.
    Those 2 are big ones, but then theres Glutamine its sold for cell volumizing BUT is is also important in helping nerve health. Then there's EFA's and Omega 3's for joint health and digestion. Taking BCAA before bed will help slow down muscle cannibalization for a few hours over not taking it.

It also all depends on your situation and body's needs. But if you think about it we natural bodybuilders do the most to improve our body so just goes to make sense theres a lot of cross over for general health for others. Just like natural Test boosters also for keeping what muscle we have. They were designed for natural body builders.

I started BBing after I found out I had M.S. and it keep me out of a chair for over 10 years. Bone degeneration and arthrits is the most to blame for me even ending up in it now. My avitar pic is from last fall and I am 44 years old.
    Last edited by Rich Knapp; 10-08-2010 at 07:45 PM.
    I'm a WNBF Pro Wheelchair Bodybuilder with national sponsors. Any questions feel free to ask.

interesting indeed
    Standing up for our rights, one offender at a time!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH59mpTo5x8

Follow me on instagram: mikeinbmore

BCAA - wonder supplement for SCI

BCAA - known as Body Builder supplement can actually play much important role in rehab process

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Very interesting indeed!

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...#ixzz11VtZ2eO4
    and related to this recent post of Dr. Wise below

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    Jan, what an interesting question! I am not sure that the production of decorin is substrate limited. In fact, a quick perusal of the factors that affect decorin's role in overcoming inhibition and regulate its synthesis and secretion suggest that the situation is quite complicated. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to see if BCAA supplementation will increase its expression in extracellular matrix of the spinal cord.

Decorin is ubiquitously expressed by many connective tissues, where it "decorates" collagen. It may itself sport a side-chain that includes chondroitin-6-sulfate and thereby inhibit growth. Decorin, however, also bind growth factor receptors, including epidermal growth factor, receptor tyrosine kinase receptors (which include neurotrophins), insulin-like growth, and low density lipoprotein receptors, through which it may affect other receptors, such TGF-beta receptor (Source). These interactions with growth receptors may overcome its growth inhibition properties (Source)

Recently, the Davies group (Source) reported that decorin reduces expression of semaphorin 3A messenger RNA, in addition to suppressing levels of chondroitin-6-sulfate proteoglycan production. The mechanism apparently depends on a nuclear factor "activator of transcription factor 3". Semaporins are well known to be growth cone guidance molecules (Source).

In 1993, Haneman, et al. (Source) reported that decorin is highly expressed in peripheral nerve and central nervous system. In rat spinal cord, apparently motoneurons and other neurons express the decorin mRNA (Source). The factors that govern synthesis and secretion of decorin core protein are complicated (Source), including N-linked oligosacharides, which promote folding of the molecule and interaction with molecules that help fold and secrete the molecule.

Wise.
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

I drink N.O Explode everyday for energy, focus, circulation ect...Is there any data on this product being beneficial or harmful? it makes me feel great but I have often wondered if it's good for me.
    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post

so I always had this impression that taking creatien would make me gain weight?

I take nothing right now. should I start taking some Protein and creatine now. I am not really working out regularly??

Quote Originally Posted by hv1987 View Post

so I always had this impression that taking creatien would make me gain weight?

I take nothing right now. should I start taking some Protein and creatine now. I am not really working out regularly??

creatine will give you energy,which translates into more intense workouts, thus building muscle...what u need to be concerned with is that you have to drink plenty of water...it makes you retain water..it will give your muscles a fuller look.....but be carefull because you end up peeing more often...not sure how it would affect cathing, since i dont cath..and i took creatine for years pre sci
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Is the powder called Tantalisingly?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery