Thread: Eliminating Partition

Eliminating Partition

Unfortunately after I got my computer, it crashed and the service tech reloaded Windows XP Pro and did not fully eliminate the previous boot section. I downloaded Easeus Partition Magic to try and eliminate this sector from my hard drive, but the sector shows on the browse screen as unallocated Logical type but cannot be deleted by the program. The problem is that whenever I reboot my computer, it goes to this boot sector to reload instead of the new one created and I have to move the program to the new sector with my arrow keys. Is there any way to eliminate this problem without a complete Windows reload?
    mike

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    No.

If it were properly designed pointers would be relative. For example an extent would consist of offset-length pairs. You move these within the volume or move the volume itself only changing things that refer to it. The root entry. You can also change where the volume starts.

PCs were not designed this way.

To erase MBR and remanence of first volume issue:

Code:
    # dd count=64 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
    You can then reload system and you backed up data.

Where do I input "# dd count=64 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda". Is this a DOS entry? Also do I understand that you are suggesting that I will have to recreate the system after making this entry and reload my back up files? If I go through that, what is the advantage of doing that versus reformating my C drive and reloading my system.
    mike

mike, see here.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

...and then here to kill the partition.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Partition Removal

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Edwards View Post
    mike, see here.
    Thanks for the feedback. When the documentation refers to the boot ID #, what does that mean? When I boot up, it is the second boot line that is valid. Does that mean I should use ID #1 as the sector to delete? I would hate to delete the wrong file and end up having to reload my system.
    mike

There's a utility called DFSEE (www.dfsee.com) that's great for dealing with partitions and the like. Support for registered users (I'm one) is excellent, via email and a Yahoo group. I know little about such matters, but the programmer has been (and currently is) a great help to me when partition and other drive issues arise.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Just an update - DFSEE is at version 11.1 now.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.