Thread: Sitski Bucket

Sitski Bucket

Hey fellow sitskiers.

Since the season is right around the corner I need to get going on tuning up my sitski and I have a question for you. One thing that I would like to do is hinge the high back on my bucket. I am a T5 complete para and need the higher back for support, but believe it is hindering my skiing. The back is currently fixed and I think some more for-and-aft movement would help me weight the ski for quicker turns and being able to ski in varying conditions.

So I am looking for suggestions from all as to what your set up is, injury level and what works for you. BTW my current set up is a KGB with a fixed high back with a chest strap and I would rate myself as intermediate to advanced skier.
    "Donny you're out of your element!" ~ Walter Sobchak

T-5 Complete 9/15/06

Check out the Tessier bucket. Also, I think Freedom Factory has a bucket with an adjustable back. Not sure on the FF but that Tessier maybe what you are looking for.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

And then there is Ride Designs in Colorado. Not sure if they do adjustable backs or not.

http://www.ridedesigns.com/ride_sports_program.htm

Thanks guys. You got the gears turning. I would love to have Ride fit out my bucket, but I don't have that kind of $$$ right now.

When I first got hurt I rode the Tessier with the hinged back which got me thinking about this and the bucket on the KGB is from Ride (at least the plastic mold) which is in two pieces. So I think I can use what I got and just make a hinge point instead of having it fixed.

Do either of you use a high back bucket? Since it had been so long since I used the Tessier I was wondering if there is any down sides to making it hinged. Anyone ski a hinged back?

T-5 Complete 9/15/06

I just started skiing last season. I was using a Pro Comp but it did not have an adjustable back. Seemed fine though.

I bought a used Praschberger at the end of the season and it does have an adjustable back. I like being able to adjust the angle but I think the overall fit is still far more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebar View Post
    Thanks guys. You got the gears turning. I would love to have Ride fit out my bucket, but I don't have that kind of $$$ right now.

When I first got hurt I rode the Tessier with the hinged back which got me thinking about this and the bucket on the KGB is from Ride (at least the plastic mold) which is in two pieces. So I think I can use what I got and just make a hinge point instead of having it fixed.

Do either of you use a high back bucket? Since it had been so long since I used the Tessier I was wondering if there is any down sides to making it hinged. Anyone ski a hinged back?

This is something I'd like to do to my fixed RPC bucket. I have thought of cutting the bucket at the "waist", heat it up to mold the back angle and have metal brackets/straps so that it is adjustable. I took a look at it today and it looks doable. I'm a t7/t8 and I have a mid back right now, but I feel that I'm leaning too far back.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.

Thanks for the replies.

Outkast let me know how your mod. goes.

I will post some pics of the process and keep the suggestions coming.

T-5 Complete 9/15/06