Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: TiLite quality control: I really have my doubts

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Good luck to you and Stephen. Sounds like a real pain to work on some of these TiLites. Don't get me wrong, working on chairs is actually fun, you know, tinkering around and spiffin' things up, etc. But when it's a dire situation, and you need your chair but don't have the right tool, the fun is taken out of the equation.
    Thanks, Bobby. This isn't about the relative ease of working on a TiLite versus any other make or model, or having the requisite tools to make a repair, it's about poor design and execution that can result in serious injury. Again, the component on this camber tube that's malfunctioned is not something that can be -- and certainly not expected to be -- self-serviced, much like a weld shouldn't suddenly buckle. And the camber tube was manufactured and installed not much more than a month ago. I find it infuriating.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    'm getting some creaking from my front caster housing in my new Tr. Less than three months old. I know it's going to be a pain to change the bearings so have been putting it off.

I'm with you guys; after this chair, I'm thinking about going back to Top End. I never, ever had a problem with any of their chairs. Should have stayed with them. I like Top End but not too fond of Invacare themselves.

I doubt Tilite will answer this thread Stephen, seems they only answer if its convenient or if someone is looking to buy a chair.
    I'm sure they will. It would be pretty foolish not to.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I'm sure they will. It would be pretty foolish not to.
    I'm sure you'll get a new part, aren't their parts covered by a warranty? A side effect of taking risks and striving for better designs is, well, it's more risky. I'd rather see an issue or two get worked through on new designs and new CF options than have companies inspired by fear of taking risks sit on designing new alternatives and new materials for us.

I'm hard headed, that's for sure. If I were TiLite I'd let you stew for demanding wet butt kisses and calling me a fool for not manning up. And for not giving me a call first to see how cool I'd be about helping you. But that's my hard head talking, not my customer service or corporate liability head.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Steverino, I have prepared the necessary paperwork and we'll file a lawsuit with the NY AG's Office on Monday morning. I have sustained severe emotional distress just reading about this. Seriously, thx for the heads up...I was under the impression that everyone loved their TiLite chairs. It really is a terrific looking chair...too bad they may be running products out the door with minimal or poor quality control. I suspect that happens in any industry when demand spikes up.....quality can go down.

Let it break under him first. Then we'll all need counseling, new chairs for life and some hush money. (no offense Stephen, you can take one for the team, eh? For the greater good?).

In all seriousness, I hope it's a fluke, and that you don't get hurt, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    I'm sure you'll get a new part, aren't their parts covered by a warranty? A side effect of taking risks and striving for better designs is, well, it's more risky. I'd rather see an issue or two get worked through on new designs and new CF options than have companies inspired by fear of taking risks sit on designing new alternatives and new materials for us.

I'm hard headed, that's for sure. If I were TiLite I'd let you stew for demanding wet butt kisses and calling me a fool for not manning up. And for not giving me a call first to see how cool I'd be about helping you. But that's my hard head talking.
    From this consumer's experience, a troubling pattern is emerging (sorry if I'm repeating myself). I didn't go shouting from the rooftop when they bungled the specs on previous orders, in fact I didn't utter a whisper. But when it comes to defective parts that can result in injury (which you noted could be "catastrophic"), well then I have no issue airing it in the public square. Because this isn't just about me and my chair. This is a heads up for anyone who wishes to take notice.

At the risk of sounding over-literal, failing to notice the at the end of your sentence, and otherwise not locating my usually at-the-ready sense of humor, I didn't call anyone a fool. I responded to a previous post that it would be foolish not to respond. It would be.

And don't get me started about the number of dropped emails to TiLite customer support over the years.

Let it break under him first. Then we'll all need counseling, new chairs for life and some hush money. (no offense Stephen, you can take one for the team, eh? For the greater good?).

In all seriousness, I hope it's a fluke, and that you don't get hurt, of course!

Sorry, I'm going to decline the offer to take one for the team. I'm strenuously trying to hold the line at T4 paraplegia.

Oh, I think you have every right to air a grievance in public, sorry for poking at you. Yes, I was being cheeky in reaction to your panties in a wadness, it's a bad habit. Probably a nervous tick.

Carrying along that vein...

...technically, can you separate a fool from his foolishness? Every moment your butt is not wetly kissed you are asserting TiLite is acting foolish, ergo deserving of the label "fool".

I personally have taken notice, over the recent past, and scratched TiLite off my shopping list, for the time being. There are better options, newer players, hungrier and more driven, IMO. I'm a sucker for the underdog and I think TiLite has won the past decade, is at or near the top, and perhaps a bit complacent?

...technically, can you separate a fool from his foolishness? Every moment your butt is not wetly kissed you are asserting TiLite is acting foolish, ergo deserving of the label "fool".
    TiLite doesn't kiss anyone's ass, so I'm hardly holding my breath or pulling down my pants. You'd think--or at least hope--that after screwing up an order you'd be on the "rush list" for a replacement, but in reality you just start over again at the end of the queue.

I have no problems cutting people and companies slack. But a loose camber plug . . . Man! There are some things you just don't have permission to screw up.

Well, you should get the next tube off the production line, IMO, and I hoep that you do. But that would prolly throw a monkey wrench into their process, leave a chair without, cause some manual work for someone somewhere. One of the draw backs at becoming more 'efficient' at manufacturing is often becoming less efficient at reacting. A sign of being more focused on 'the business' than the customers.

Another great example is the CF side guard profiling. Doesn't cost the consumer any extra for Top End to do the same thing, but TiLite charges $200? So, they strive to be more efficient at making chairs, get automated and it leads to imposing obscene up-charges for silly, simple requests that are part of fitting a chair to someone's needs. The 'interruption' of custom shaping the side guards is a result of poor process engineering. I understand the desire to 'want' every side guard to be the same size, but as has been previously noted by TiLite, EVERY chair has a unique spec in this regard. If this is true, wtf only offer 2 sizes, if not to save money? What's the goal, the best chairs, or the most profit?!? The best chairs, with side guards, have CF side guards profiled to spec and don't cost any more than a retail TiLite. Thank Dog for options.
    Last edited by DaleB; 10-02-2010 at 07:17 PM.