Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: TiLite quality control: I really have my doubts

TiLite quality control: I really have my doubts

I discovered this morning that the camber plug on the new replacement carbon fiber camber tube I ordered from TiLite has become dislodged by at about a 1/4" to 1/3". The camber plug, which inserts into the camber tube, is glued in at the factory and IS NOT user adjustable and it's not supposed to EVER come loose.

This is not my first CF camber tube--I had to return the first one because it was not made to the correct specs. Similarly, a few years back when I ordered a new back post for my ZR, it too had to be returned because the factory didn't pay attention to the order specs. While those goofs were simply inconveniences, adding weeks to delivery, they didn't pose immediate safety hazards. But a loose camber plug is a BIG F***ing DEAL!! A POTENTIALLY SERIOUS ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!

Combined with other recent threads about the sloppy new back hinges on the Series 2 ZR, I have genuine concerns about TiLite's QC system. I see a bad pattern emerging and it's very concerning.

I'm not someone prone to launching into rants--in fact, this may be my first ever in almost 10 years here--but this really angers me. Sloppy manufacturing in medical equipment is just flat out unacceptable.

At this point I'm going to have see strong evidence of a turn around--my ass is going to need some wet sloppy kissing--before I'll consider buying anything again from TiLite.
    Last edited by stephen212; 10-02-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Wow, uncharacteristically charged, but who can blame you. A failure at the camber tube is catastrophic.

Could this be a symptom of going from a small custom chair builder to a large volume manufacturer? The quest for increased revenue and profit, coupled with succeeding quickly at said growth, can easily lead to sloppy output without strong leadership and keeping sharp focus on core business principles (e.g. what made you great in the first place). Even then, it's a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    I discovered this morning that the camber plug on the new replacement carbon fiber camber tube I ordered from TiLite has become dislodged by at about a 1/4" to 1/3". The camber plug, which inserts into the camber tube, is glued in at the factory and IS NOT user adjustable and it's not supposed to EVER come loose.

This is not my first CF camber tube--I had to return the first one because it was not made to the correct specs. Similarly, a few years back when I ordered a new back post for my ZR, it too had to be returned because the factory didn't pay attention to the order specs. While those goofs were simply inconveniences, adding weeks to delivery, they didn't pose immediate safety hazards. But a loose camber plug is a BIG F***ing DEAL!! A POTENTIALLY SERIOUS ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN!!!

Combined with other recent threads about the sloppy new back hinges on the Series 2 ZR, I have genuine concerns about TiLite's QC system. I see a bad pattern emerging and it's very concerning.

I'm not someone prone to launching into rants, but this really angers me. Sloppy manufacturing process in medical equipment is just flat out unacceptable.

At this point I'm going to have see strong evidence of a turn around--my ass is going to need some wet sloppy kissing--before I'll consider buying anything again from TiLite.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

I'm anticipating arrival of my new AeroZ in about a week. Thanks for the heads up. I will check it over carefully before accepting it.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I like the A4 Ti I just bought for $400 "used," although it's brand new - maybe used for a few hours. Camber inserts are a breeze, changeable in seconds, and I've never had a problem with any A4s, aluminum or titanium. I still have a Quickie Ti, but I like the Action better.

The A4, although some seem to think it's not much of a chair, is a great chair, imo. I gave up wanting to look 'cool' about 2 years after my injury, and the A4 Ti is light, easily adjustable, and needs minimal repairs. I can go for years without needing anything done on the chair, besides tightening loose bolts and such. And it's not a bad looking chair, again, imo.

Sorry you're having problems, Stephen, and you're right; much like myself, you don't get upset about much in this life. So if this is bugging you, it's a big deal. Good luck buddy.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

I'm sitting here with the front fork assembly of my TiLite TR torn apart, waiting for my friend to bring me PB Blaster penetrating catalyst and a dremel tool (if necessary) to try to free or cut off the inner bearing race from the shaft to which it is rust welded. I've already used WD 40, heat, hammer, vice grips...

This is the worst front caster assembly I have ever seen. It leaves me longing for my old Invacare A4 with it's easy to work on design and room for grease to prevent rust. I like some things about this chair, but I can't say I would buy it again.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    I like the A4 Ti I just bought for $400 "used," although it's brand new - maybe used for a few hours. Camber inserts are a breeze, changeable in seconds, and I've never had a problem with any A4s, aluminum or titanium. I still have a Quickie Ti, but I like the Action better.

The A4, although some seem to think it's not much of a chair, is a great chair, imo. I gave up wanting to look 'cool' about 2 years after my injury, and the A4 Ti is light, easily adjustable, and needs minimal repairs. I can go for years without needing anything done on the chair, besides tightening loose bolts and such. And it's not a bad looking chair, again, imo.

Sorry you're having problems, Stephen, and you're right; much like myself, you don't get upset about much in this life. So if this is bugging you, it's a big deal. Good luck buddy.
    TiLite makes an A4?

ETA - or does TI refer to the metal on an Invacare? Got it now, sorry - I'm frazzled fighting this &U*)% TiLite.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Not a problem, FO. It sure seems there are a lot of threads about TiLite chairs lately on this website, and most of them aren't positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    TiLite makes an A4?

ETA - or does TI refer to the metal on an Invacare? Got it now, sorry - I'm frazzled fighting this &U*)% TiLite.

Thanks!

TiLite makes an A4?

I think the A4 is an Invacare model. In this instance, TI refers to the metal, not the company.

Good luck to you and Stephen. Sounds like a real pain to work on some of these TiLites. Don't get me wrong, working on chairs is actually fun, you know, tinkering around and spiffin' things up, etc. But when it's a dire situation, and you need your chair but don't have the right tool, the fun is taken out of the equation.
    I'm sitting here with the front fork assembly of my TiLite TR torn apart, waiting for my friend to bring me PB Blaster penetrating catalyst and a dremel tool (if necessary) to try to free or cut off the inner bearing race from the shaft to which it is rust welded. I've already used WD 40, heat, hammer, vice grips...

This is the worst front caster assembly I have ever seen. It leaves me longing for my old Invacare A4 with it's easy to work on design and room for grease to prevent rust. I like some things about this chair, but I can't say I would buy it again.

Thanks!

'm getting some creaking from my front caster housing in my new Tr. Less than three months old. I know it's going to be a pain to change the bearings so have been putting it off.

I'm with you guys; after this chair, I'm thinking about going back to Top End. I never, ever had a problem with any of their chairs. Should have stayed with them. I like Top End but not too fond of Invacare themselves.

I doubt Tilite will answer this thread Stephen, seems they only answer if its convenient or if someone is looking to buy a chair.