Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New TiLite Options

Wildkat, I don't mean to put down your frustration, I can understand it, but you went with another chair manufacturer that wouldn't offer the desired loop either and yet they are "ok"?

Sadly, many decisions are made because of potential lawsuits, leaving many companies not being able to do things they'd like.

BTW, many of the TiLite chairs being sold on eBay are from TiLite.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by WildKat View Post
    Ha! I did the same thing a few years ago. I wanted a loop built onto the front of my frame on the left side so I could connect my guide/service dog's lead to keep it from getting tangled in my wheels. They refused on "safety grounds" because "what if my dog suddenly ran into traffic or decided to chase another animal?" Um... If my GUIDE DOG did that she wouldn't be a very good guide dog and we wouldn't have been able to work together for 9 years! Sigh...

Until then I was attaching the lead around the front of my frame (for years) and hadn't had a problem and have been doing it since (I'm working with a new dog now) and still haven't had any issues.

I had gone to them knowing that they did go out of their way to design their chairs for each user, but I ended up going with Top End instead. Although I didn't get the loop, I just couldn't calm down enough to deal with Tilite after that!

Now I'm looking into getting another chair. I'm considering buying a Tilite from ebay because I feel a little better knowing that my money will be going to another wheelchair user instead of a company that not only wouldn't listen to what I had to say and think of other suggestions if they didn't like the one I had, but that also insulted my guide/service dog BIG TIME and in turn insulted me and the many years of hard work we put in together (not to mention the massive amount of training). It was like a huge slap in the face!
    Motorcycle clamps can work nicely. Go to a motorcycle shop or find someone that knows about motorcycles. TI uses motorcycle clamps on most of their attachments.

Your story sounds kind of crazy because it's your dog, the G forces won't be enough to kill you no matter what goes wrong. Your dog is there to look out for your well being which is more than I can say about bus drivers.

The bottom line is that we're already injured in some way because we use wheelchairs. Can't be more captain obvious than that. To level the playing field, we have to take considerable informed risk, as SCI OTR puts it.

Why would they sell a cantilevered model? Those things automatically indo until the COG is set right. Seems kind of dangerous to me.

Is a random face plant somehow safer than a known situation like public transit or guide dogs?

I will send you the name of the guy who made my rear loop. He's well versed in motorcycles as well. Could probably solve your problem in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    TiLite has posted new order forms on their site. Notable options include an Armed Forces Edition. This option includes branch-specific digital camo and optional service patch or name tape (the latter sounds interesting).
    got the "Eye on Ti" e-mail the other day and finally looked at it. They used some tricky language - "military powder coat paint colors".

Which is it? The order form says no such thing about powder coating. They are two different processes. Can titanium be powder coated?

Another thing that was worded awkwardly was the claim that "TiLite is a Titanium manufacturer". Really? They make titanium alloy?

I'm far from an English language scholar, just pointing out some misleading wording. and you probably don't care what some Canuck thinks anyway.

On a positive note it appears all the griping done here about parts prices has had an effect - "One of the most recent changes we’ve made is changing the prices of our parts!"

too bad some of us have already decided to move on... better late than never, I suppose. And now I can take myself off their spam list, I really don't care anymore!

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    Wildkat, I don't mean to put down your frustration, I can understand it, but you went with another chair manufacturer that wouldn't offer the desired loop either and yet they are "ok"?

Sadly, many decisions are made because of potential lawsuits, leaving many companies not being able to do things they'd like.

BTW, many of the TiLite chairs being sold on eBay are from TiLite.
    Sorry, I probably worded that wrong. I haven't been getting more than a couple of hours sleep a night lately. When we spoke to Top End the discussion about the loop went on for so long I decided to just have the chair made without it because my Quickie was literally falling to bits. They didn't flat out say "no" and go on about my dog etc. like Tilite did so I went with them. If I had more time before my Quickie fell apart I would have waited until a final decision on the loop was made, but I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by radio_buddha View Post
    I will send you the name of the guy who made my rear loop. He's well versed in motorcycles as well. Could probably solve your problem in a heartbeat.
    Thanks! It would be great if you could!

bit off topic, but wildkat, would something like this http://wheelchairgear.com/accessories.html#gripclip be of any use in holding a dog leash? if you wanted to be extra careful, you could use some kind of breakaway clip in place of the carabiner - that way if something happened like a bicycle tried to rush between you and dog an get caught in the leash, it only breaks the clip rather than you and/or the dog.......

and back on, i would be really interested to see that name tape. is it just going to be a sewn-on patch, or an actual printing? i have a friend who has a wolternus chair and she has her full name on the lower frame bar. im thinking of using transfer stickers to put my name on the underside - so i can leave my chair upturned on the dock at a regatta, and i dont have to rely on those gluey paper stickers they give out to us...

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    bit off topic, but wildkat, would something like this http://wheelchairgear.com/accessories.html#gripclip be of any use in holding a dog leash? if you wanted to be extra careful, you could use some kind of breakaway clip in place of the carabiner - that way if something happened like a bicycle tried to rush between you and dog an get caught in the leash, it only breaks the clip rather than you and/or the dog.......
    This is EXACTLY what I use for my (60lb lab) service dog. It works great.

Anyone have pics of the Digital camo paint scheme?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSporto View Post
    Anyone have pics of the Digital camo paint scheme?
    TiLite website has some. Click on the patches for more details.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by amyk View Post
    and back on, i would be really interested to see that name tape. is it just going to be a sewn-on patch, or an actual printing? i have a friend who has a wolternus chair and she has her full name on the lower frame bar. im thinking of using transfer stickers to put my name on the underside - so i can leave my chair upturned on the dock at a regatta, and i dont have to rely on those gluey paper stickers they give out to us...
    Amy,
    I've made stickers for my wheelchair that come off w/little effort and little residue by using the ink-jet printer window decal stickers. I designed them in whatever easy program was on my computer & printed them on my ink-jet printer. I think the labels were made by either HP or Avery. I know it was one of the major companies, I still have more sheets around here, It was super inexpensive & I could change them whenever I wanted. I did mine for a race, but I could do it for holidays if I wanted or whatever else. They were plastic & water-reistant.
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......