Thread: cutting titanium

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live

cutting titanium

ok, so i gotta cut about an inch off my wheelchair because footplate is too low and really starting to cause me problems keeping my feet on it. It was mentioned to use a pipe cutter, but I would have to buy a 3-4 wheel cutter since can't go all the way around because of caster. my local machine shop said hacksaw or sawzall. anyone try to cut titanium with a hacksaw or sawzall?

would a mini tubing cutter work for you? double check its max diameter ability.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Dremel power tool

I had to cut titanium pipe several years ago and I used a Dremel power tool with a "cut-off wheel." Dremel makes several different types of cut-off wheels. They have a new diamond tip that should cut through the titanium. The cut-off wheel is only 1.5" in diameter and 0.6mm thick making the cut very thin. If you go this route please beware of the cutting speed and please use safety glasses.

Don't use a hack saw. It will give you a terrible cut even if breaks through the titanium.

Also be aware, cutting your 'chair's frame may void it's lifetime warranty.

You can find all these products at a Sear Hardware store near you.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    i started off with a hacksaw, titanium cuts easier than i thought, just have to cut slow or it gets hot quickly. switched to sawzall with no problem. yes it voids warranty, but Tilite wants $300 to cut it(plus i would have no chair) and DME won't take care of it and i'm tired of arguing with them about it. it took me no time to cut it and it cut clean.

The pipe cutter is easiest and gives a factory cut. Takes time thou. We did my 1st zr, that was per tilites instructions
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Cutting titanium isn't anything special. You may use a hacksaw, or whatever tool you would like to use. How the cut looks depends on the care you take in making it. Just cutting the two front tubes shouldn't use up any of the tools mentioned. Some of the cheap cutting wheels and blades get used up really fast. To make the cut look better when you're done, get a file to clean up the cut or use some kind of end cap. Then paint the area to blend in.
    Andrew

would recommend a pipe cutter for the cleanest cut, even if you need to remove fork ass'y. this method won't heat up the metal and tarnish its appearance or chip the paint if painted. Also any rough edges left with a hacksaw or reciprocating saw could start a crack once you re-install the footplate clamps, they need to be fairly tight to keep the footrest in place.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    my local machine shop said hacksaw or sawzall. anyone try to cut titanium with a hacksaw or sawzall?
    you could cut it with that with no problems, only will take you a bit more time.
    I cut it with an angle grinder with a cutting metal disk, you will do it in seconds, after if you want sand the cut a bit and that`s all.

moderator : wrong thread.deleted.
    Last edited by nia adha; 10-01-2010 at 06:11 PM.
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.