Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Incomplete Quad

New Incomplete Quad

Hello all!

I am new to this forum and relatively new to SCI. In January 2009, I was diagnosed with a spinal cord tumour (intradural, intramedullary ependymoma) spanning c4 -t6. I had surgery that resulted in removal of 70% of the tumour and followed with 4 months in a rehab facility and 26 radiation treatments to try and shrink the remainder of the tumour. I managed to get back on my feet and used a cane (in the house) and rollator walker. In September 2009, my tumour started growing again, which greatly impacted my mobility, bowel and bladder function... I had repeat surgery for tumour resection in January 2010 and followed with 5 months in a rehab facility. I currently continue with outpatient rehab twice weekly which consists mainly of strengthening exercises and gait retraining. I walk very short distances with a rollator walker and use a chair as necessary for everything else. For now, my disease is stable, although I still have two tumours that were too small and too far deep in the cord to be safely removed.

As far as my attitude is concerned, I am thankful that I have as much functionality as I have. My left hand was greatly affected by the second surgery, but I have managed to regain much of my dexterity and roughly 1/3 of my strength. My left leg is wek and does not respond well or quickly to my 'commands'. I don't complain, since I am able to stand have limited walking ability. I have numbness and neurogenic pain from the shoulders down, although this has improved significantly since my sci. I also have partial Brown-Sequard syndrome in my good leg and have Horner's syndrome as a result of my third surgery (droopy eyelid, slow pupil response, sweating on only one side of my face (weird!), etc...). My bladder and bowels remain somewhat of a problem, but I must say that intermittent cathing has dramatically improved my situation.

I live alone with my two cats and manage as best as I can, with some help from my family, who are an incredible group of people. My original prognosis was much worse than it is now... so overall, life is good.

I'm glad to have found a place where I can get information and talk to people who understand some of the things I'm going through.

Thanks!

Welcome Corinne. Sorry you had to find us but glad you did.

Welcome, Corinne. You are so right, this forum is a wonderful place to talk with people who understand, and to learn current and genuinely useful information. I wish you the best, and for your rehab to continue to yield gains. The support of your family - and the presence of your cats, how well I know - is such a plus.

Welcome Corinne!

Hi Corrine,

Welcome to CareCure. As they say "Sorry you had to find us but since you did- happy to have you here."

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine1
    I don't complain, since I am able to stand have limited walking ability.
    It's okay to complain every once and a while. You're going through a lot for any human being. We even have a special thread set up just for complaining. Bitchin' is allowed too!

Forum to bitch and complain

I hope you stabilize and start to turn your physical woes around. Neurological stuff can be awfully complicated and confusing. It helps if you have some patience and can cut yourself some slack when things get ugly.

Take care,

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Welcome! Those kitties will help you more than anything, regardless of your outcome.

Hi Corrine,
    Many years ago, I read an autobiography of Reynolds Price, a professor at Duke University and author. He was 51 years old (1984) when he was diagnosed with a spinal tumor. The book was very well written, but looking back on it now, there have been so many advancements in science and treatment, that he would have done much better today than in the early 80s.

You sound like a lovely person who is coping admirably with a very difficult, life changing event. Glad you have found Care Cure Community and hope to hear from you often.

All the best,
    GJ

Hello new friends...

gjnl - I had not heard of that book. Thanks! Definitely going to read it.

quad79 - My cats rule this roost. I have to fight them for use of the walker and the wheelchair. )

Bob - A forum to bitch and complain!!! ALMOST worth the SCI... I can already conjure up a few posts for that one! LOL

This is a good place to be! Thanks.

Hi Corrine
    Welcome Aboard
    This site is absolutely the koolest , nicest group of people who care for eachother

I am a incomplete Quad and I have a heart of gold .

This is nice to see new members

Sincerely ;
    Gypsylady GL