Thread: any incomplete walking quads not working

any incomplete walking quads not working

Are any incomplete walking quads not working and collecting disability benefits? I have been working since 12 weeks after my injury (3+ years) and I am just so tiered all the time, have extreme difficulty with my bladder and bowls and feel like my health is being compromised to meet my job commitments. I am unsure how long this is sustainable. But I am not in a wheelchair.
    C2-T2 spinal cord infarction from spinal cord stroke post 3+ years.

I am an incomplete quad [c5-6] who worked for 20 yrs. before throwing in the towel due to reoccuring health issues [both bladdder and bowel]. But I have always used a wheelchair. Get yourself to a doctor and work as long as you can. A long work history will pay off when you finally throw in the towel and apply for SSDI. If you are getting healthcare insurance, than definitely work as long as you can. Health benefits and retirement savings [pension, IRA's, etc.] should be a big part of your employment focus. I got lucky--I currently get both a disability retirement paycheck, SSDI, full medical, dental and vision insurance and next month I will get Medicare.

Work for your mental and physical well-being, the social aspects, the benefits and for your retirement.

The public school systems require 183 days/year of on the job work. Some people tele-commute. Don't throw in the towel just yet.

I wish you luck.
    Last edited by peegy p; 10-01-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: add mobility status

Walking Quad -- Work

I'm a walking quad who stopped working in 1996 due to pain and spasticity. I was injured in 1980. Did not work until 1983 due to injury (was on disability both SS and private). Worked 1983-1996 - went back out on disability in 1996 (both SS and private, but with a different company FROM 1980 through work).

My private insurere reviews my claim every 2 years. It amounts to me going to DR and hVING HIM FILL OUT FORMS

c5/c6 incomplete, have drop foot and 20% return on right side. was a heavy press operator for a mfg co. here in small town all then before that I worked the fishing and crab boats up in Alaska till Exon Valdeze happened. am now on disability permanatly

I am a walking quad at 13 months post injury and not working. I am not working because my hand dexterity is not good, one hand is very bad, and I fatigue easily. The company that I worked for basically wanted all or nothing, either you were as good as new or you were not wanted. I don't have a problem with this as they have good LTD insurance, but I have to explain it to people lots.

luckydog - do you think that using a chair might help with your endurance & comfort at work? I have a friend who is a walking quad, but he uses a chair during work and when he's running around town to save energy, as it still takes quite a bit of effort to walk.

Quote Originally Posted by luckydog View Post
    Are any incomplete walking quads not working and collecting disability benefits? I have been working since 12 weeks after my injury (3+ years) and I am just so tiered all the time, have extreme difficulty with my bladder and bowls and feel like my health is being compromised to meet my job commitments. I am unsure how long this is sustainable. But I am not in a wheelchair.
    C2-T2 spinal cord infarction from spinal cord stroke post 3+ years.
    I think it depends on your age, profession/occupation, etc. Disability insurance is probably easier than SSDI depending on coverage and the insurer, although if you have Group Disability Insurance the insurer will probably make you also file for SSDI. It isn't always better to delay getting disability benefits.

My injury was also in April 07 and I worked as long as I could. But the fatigue and pain meds ultimately prevented me from having the focus, concentration and stamina needed for my job. Same story for a doctor friend of mine who had a spinal stroke. You need a doctor who agrees that you cannot do your job and probably a lawyer skilled enough to deal with the disability issues. The fact that you can walk makes most people think you can work. I am 100% certain that going to a wheelchair would not have made a difference in my case.
    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

I am an incomplete quad (C5) who has been working full time for 30 years as a computer aided drafting structural designer/drafter.
    Each year it seems a little harder to keep up the pace. I don’t own a chair (an ego thing) but, sometimes it would be a blessing.
    At some point there will come a time where the old body won’t tolerate it any more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jett View Post
    I am an incomplete quad (C5) who has been working full time for 30 years as a computer aided drafting structural designer/drafter.
    Each year it seems a little harder to keep up the pace. I don’t own a chair (an ego thing) but, sometimes it would be a blessing.
    At some point there will come a time where the old body won’t tolerate it any more!
    I'm a walking quad. It has gotten harder though. I have used a scooter outside of house for years. I have had an electic wheelchiar since 2007 for inside house, after my 3 hip surgery. Just started to use wheelchair inside of house a few times a day in the last few months. Still use a walker most of the times in the house and when going out and walk doesn't go over 50 yards (if longer I unload scooter via the way of a Bruno Joey Lift in the back of my minivan)

It is just taking so much effort to use walker now, though I will use as much as I can.