Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Archery hunting starts friday but any ideas on how to keep chair quiet

Archery hunting starts friday but any ideas on how to keep chair quiet

Took David to the woods tonight to do some scouting...and he was extremely upset at how noisy the chair was. We have been out there several times but not actually scouting for deer so it never bothered him. I am assuming all you hunters know what I mean. Anyway each and every bump he hit it clanked, and thumped and etc etc. He has an Frontier X5. I took the headrest off as it seemed to be making alot of the noise but the rest of it seems to be coming from the front and back casters, which I can't take off even though he suggested I do that Its his first year back out since 2005 and he is excited, aggitated and nervous all wrapped up. I told him he would just have to get out there earlier than he used to before he depended on the chair and sit quietly and wait, it may take longer but it will be ok, unless you all have some sort of other ideas which I will gladly listen to. This is out of my league.

just like you said mswife i get in my stand about 30 miniutes before daylight and just set there till daylight tell him i said goodluck our season starts saturday going to put my blind up tomar

Thanks deel, dang, I hate it when I am right. But that leads me to another question, can we put up his ground blind on conservation property (public) and leave it, I know he always did with his tree stand but he is afraid someone will steal the ground blind, not sure how to secure it to make it theft proof. Every year someone has their tree stand stolen. He has the Penthouse ground blind and I just don't have the money to keep replacing things. So it may be best to just go like an hour early set up and wait.

Oh yea and thanks for the good luck and good luck to you too!!!

Yes MSW, we all deal with noisy chairs but it's not like we're going to sneak up on a buck either. Just get to stand early and get set up in the position you're going to be shooting. Try to get everything set so when the shot presents itself, you'll be ready without having to move the chair. Then turn the chair OFF. Even IF you don't need to move the chair, and thus creating noise, hitting the joystick to cause the motors to click will be enough to spook game. IF he has to move the chair in the blind to get lined up, try to do it when the deer is walking.

Good luck this weekend.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Even abled bodies make noises. I agree, get to your stand early. In MN. you can shoot half hour before and after sunrise & sunset, I try to be in my stand at least an hour before sunrise. You can also put up a blind on public land but if you leave it overnight and someone else gets to it before you do then it is considered their spot. There could not be any charges filed either if it was stolen. This year I got a special permit from the Dept. of Natural Res. that allows me to drive off the main trail of one specfic management area with my vehicle (4x4 truck) but boy, you better know what you're doing as they want to know EXACTLY where I'll be and if I go over such and such a line it will be a $140. violation. Hell, if I could walk I'd be all over the place. Good luck out there!!!

Thanks everyone, I think I got him calmed down a bit, all it took was a trip to town to buy some more hunting goodies, camo, scent killer, new gloves, you know all the essentials oh yea and I got me a camo captains chair so I can kick back and read a book. I haven't talked him into letting me hunt yet, even though I really would like to try it, I think he is afraid I will show him up this being his first year back out there and I don't want to take it away from him anyway, so I will politely sit close by, be the lookout gal and read. Heck it will be the first time I have been able to sit down and not have a thing to do in a very long time. Good luck to all of you too, hopefully we will all have some pictures to show!

sorry mswife im slow at replying i went and set up my blind...i dont think id leave the blind on public land cause they arent cheap and somebody might walk off with it...im in a hunting club and all of our members know me so hopefully mine dont get stolen..if anybody kills one post pics =)

I agree, tomorrow my plans are to come home from work and practice taking it down, putting it up isn't a problem as you basically just throw it and it pops up, but taking it down takes practice. You got to smash it, fold it, twist it, etc. and hope it ends up in the round shape to fit back into the carrying pouch. yea right...

Then Saturday to the woods we go.....we will probably only hunt in the afternoon/evening as David is not an early riser, nor am I after working all week.

Have any luck? Today was opening day of archery season here in Virginia but we had 6-7 inches of rain the last few days so it was too wet for me to get to my stand. I'll get 'em next week.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein