Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm pretty excited...

I'm pretty excited...

I'm getting my AFO on Monday. I never envisioned myself being happy about getting a brace that I might have wear for the rest of my life, but somehow I am Gee I am really getting B O R I N G.....

Gotta celebrate every advance - otherwise, why bother?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I'm glad, Mary, and I totally understand your happiness at getting the AFO - whatever helps you to function better is a cause for rejoicing. What kind of AFO did you end up getting?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Gotta celebrate every advance - otherwise, why bother?
    your right FO

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I'm glad, Mary, and I totally understand your happiness at getting the AFO - whatever helps you to function better is a cause for rejoicing. What kind of AFO did you end up getting?
    Thanks Bonnette, I haven't gotten it yet i was "casted" by orthotist yesterday and will p/u on Monday. Im not sure of particulars, i don't know much about them. Weak dorsiflexion of my right ankle and stabilize it as it tends to turn in a bit also the more tired I get from walking. I am also hoping in will solve the problem of limping. I know there are several different kinds for different purposes? but i'm not sure.

what are the other types used for? how are you doing by the way?

I would much rather go underwear shopping, but, sure, it is cool getting new braces. New Balance makes shoes for maffo's now. I have not tried them yet, but I have heard good things about them. and they have dress shoes too. Im still using boys black dress shoes with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I would much rather go underwear shopping, but, sure, it is cool getting new braces. New Balance makes shoes for maffo's now. I have not tried them yet, but I have heard good things about them. and they have dress shoes too. Im still using boys black dress shoes with mine.
    HA, yeah me too Jody, i would rather shop for new underwear myself or perhaps some nice heals, doesn't seem as though that will happen. Thanks for the tip regarding the new balance.

It sounds like you might be getting a hinged or "articulated" AFO, with a hinge-and-spring assembly between the leg brace and foot plate - that's the kind I have, and I've been very pleased with it over the years. I don't know specifics about the other types, only that each person's prescription is written on the basis of his or her particular range of motion, degree of foot drop and so on. I think you'll really appreciate the confidence your AFO will give you, as fear of tripping and falling loom large with foot drop and can keep you from being as active as you'd like.

My left knee is quite hyperextended now, and I need a stronger or different type of AFO - I have an appointment with a physiatrist and PT next week for a reassessment and new prescription. So I'm very hopeful, and thank you for asking!

You're wise not to have waited to get an AFO, Mary - it will help you to preserve important knee function. Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    New Balance makes shoes for maffo's now. I have not tried them yet, but I have heard good things about them. and they have dress shoes too. Im still using boys black dress shoes with mine.
    I wear Keen's Presidio shoes with my AFO - they are very smart and attractive for a sport shoe, wide enough to accommodate the brace (if you remove the insole, which lifts out), and they tilt up at the toe to help with walking - they come in lots of colors and are not orthotic looking at all. The toe box is very sturdy. Here's a link to a picture: Presidio

Here's a better picture of the shoe, and you can see several views of it: Zappo's
    Last edited by Bonnette; 09-29-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    It sounds like you might be getting a hinged or "articulated" AFO, with a hinge-and-spring assembly between the leg brace and foot plate - that's the kind I have, and I've been very pleased with it over the years. I don't know specifics about the other types, only that each person's prescription is written on the basis of his or her particular range of motion, degree of foot drop and so on. I think you'll really appreciate the confidence your AFO will give you, as fear of tripping and falling loom large with foot drop and can keep you from being as active as you'd like.

My left knee is quite hyperextended now, and I need a stronger or different type of AFO - I have an appointment with a physiatrist and PT next week for a reassessment and new prescription. So I'm very hopeful, and thank you for asking!

You're wise not to have waited to get an AFO, Mary - it will help you to preserve important knee function. Keep us posted!
    Yes I remember reading some posts you wrote and what you told me specifically regarding your knee issue. I'm glad your seeing the physiatrist and pt about it, I hope u get some relief.

Yes you know I don't have full foot drop but enough weakness that I sometimes trip. The weakness of dorsiflexion is mostly when I am standing bearing full weight. PT is working on the anterior tibialis but its pretty weak. One day last week after PT, I came home and took a nap and my muscle was so weak from being worked, I nearly fell on my face when I got up off the sofa.
    I'm tired of limping and compensating, its been almost 2 years with this particular problem and at this point I think it will only strengthen just so much. I know it will not solve the tiredness in my legs on walking and standing from the myeolpathy but i am hoping as I say it will rectify the limp at least. I also have other issues that get aggravated because of this, SI joint, lumbar and t-spine herniations that are symptomatic and I fall to the right side and it whips up all that pain.

Thanks for the shoe tips as well. Let me know how you make out with your appts and what they can do for you