Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 65

Thread: Ok let's be honest, what am I likely to die from due to this injury?

  1. #31
    Senior Member feisty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Midtown, Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    2,744
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A couple of recent studies related to this:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2651080/

    http://journals.lww.com/jtrauma/Abst...1_1998.24.aspx

    http://www.nature.com/sc/journal/v47...sc200915a.html

    http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs.../neu.2008.0764

    http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/ab...ournalCode=fnl

    From the SCI Model Systems Centers National SCI Statistical Database, the leading causes of death in SCI currently are:


    • pneumonia
    • septicemia
    • pulmonary emboli
    We also know that people with SCI are at higher risk for heart disease (probably due to the much higher rates of abnormal lipid metabolism in people with SCI) and diabetes, both of which must be properly managed and treated or they significantly lower your life expectance, SCI or AB.

    (KLD)
    I think about the same curiosities, imighty.

    Hey, and btw nurse- as someone who is dealing with pulmonary emboli* fairly early in this whole shebang that mean I'm a higher risk for more blood-clot related shiot later? ie- more emboli, stroke, aneurism, etc. once I'm off the meds for this run?
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Patton57 View Post
    I had cellulitis in my right leg and had to spend a week in the hospital. I was released with an IV which I used for another few weeks. I then moved on to giving my self shots of antibiotics in the leg for another 4 weeks. The swelling finally disappeared after 6 months. Initially, my leg was twice as large as normal below the thigh. This was very scary because it was so unexpected. Definitely keep your feet healthy!
    I had the same thing, except not nearly as severe. I only
    spent three days in the hospital and it was caused by an
    ingrown toenail.

  3. #33
    I'm hoping to die from being shot by a jealous husband, or what we call natural causes in my family.

    Whatever, Stephen!!

  4. #34
    Senior Member Imight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    6,535
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    I think its about $100 for the 2 days but you can get a scholarship. Go to the W2W site to apply. My son is 15 and also a T4, Im trying to get him to go with me.
    sounds like a good deal, mostly because I know it's going to a good cause. i'll probably see you both up there.

  5. #35
    Senior Member Imight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    6,535
    Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    I think about the same curiosities, imighty.

    Hey, and btw nurse- as someone who is dealing with pulmonary emboli* fairly early in this whole shebang that mean I'm a higher risk for more blood-clot related shiot later? ie- more emboli, stroke, aneurism, etc. once I'm off the meds for this run?
    From what I gather, I think it's safe to say (with the various issues that may cause) we'll be dying a slow expected death in a hospital. Ah well atleast it's the way I pictured it. curled up in a ball, with 10 different types of drugs running thru my veins, breathing getting shorter and shorter per day, disoriented mind, loved ones by my side.

    I just wanted to know if it will be painful. Looks like it might not be, so that's a sigh of relief lol.

  6. #36
    Feisty,

    Having a pulmonary embolism does increase your risk of another embolic episode as many PE's start as deep venous thromboses (DVT). Trying to prevent DVT's by completing the full recommended anticoagulation treatment for your PE, maintaining good circulation and especially getting any symptoms checked out as early as possible such as redness, swelling of extremity or any pulmonary problems such as shortness of breath.
    You can search "recurrence after pulmonary embolus" if you want further information.

    AAD

  7. #37
    Believe me their is no need to worry about how you will die. As soon as you figure it out God will say fuck you smart ass and change it on ya.
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

  8. #38
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    A couple of recent studies related to this:

    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2651080/

    http://journals.lww.com/jtrauma/Abst...1_1998.24.aspx

    http://www.nature.com/sc/journal/v47...sc200915a.html

    http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs.../neu.2008.0764

    http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/ab...ournalCode=fnl

    From the SCI Model Systems Centers National SCI Statistical Database, the leading causes of death in SCI currently are:



    • pneumonia
    • septicemia
    • pulmonary emboli
    We also know that people with SCI are at higher risk for heart disease (probably due to the much higher rates of abnormal lipid metabolism in people with SCI) and diabetes, both of which must be properly managed and treated or they significantly lower your life expectance, SCI or AB.


    (KLD)
    Does this abnormal lipid metabolism show up in routine blood work?
    Rich

  9. #39
    Senior Member lynnifer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Windsor ON Canada
    Posts
    19,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I've been a t4 complete for nearly 30 years now and am feeling great, had a lot of crazy problems along the way, bad UTI's, DVT, foot infections, leg infections. But I'm still here and have healed from all those things.
    This gives me hope. It's been a rough couple of years. Previous to that, strong with no hospital overnight stays from age 21 - 37 (last summer for surgery on my foot). It's very tempting to think it's all breaking down and this is it, the beginning of the end. That attitude can suck you down with it though - I know that much.

  10. #40
    Senior Member Imight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    6,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Q View Post
    Believe me their is no need to worry about how you will die. As soon as you figure it out God will say fuck you smart ass and change it on ya.

Similar Threads

  1. Be Honest!
    By drnader in forum Life
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 12:36 AM
  2. why i am honest?
    By adi chicago in forum Life
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 08:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •