Thread: Cavernous Hemangioma

Cavernous Hemangioma

very rare to have, was a ball of blood vessles with tenticles wraped around my spinal cord, never gave me any problems and then literally over night was paralyzed from T5 down, since been to rehab for 2 months and no one is sure if i will recover or not, and idk what to think about any of it :/

Quote Originally Posted by oakleaf41 View Post
    very rare to have, was a ball of blood vessles with tenticles wraped around my spinal cord, never gave me any problems and then literally over night was paralyzed from T5 down, since been to rehab for 2 months and no one is sure if i will recover or not, and idk what to think about any of it :/
    Sorry to hear about this, Oakleaf41. I had a congenital T4 arteriovenous malformation (similar if not identical to a cavernous hemangioma, depending on the source consulted) which took me down rather suddenly when I was 23 (27 years ago).

Your prognosis for any return of function has, at this point, nothing to do with what initially caused your injury. I assume the hemangioma has been removed. What matters now is the current condition of your spinal cord. If your situation was similar to mine, the clotting of blood at T5 caused an ischemia episode (lack of oxygen) which resulted in paralysis. Have you had an MRI done to see if a cyst has formed at the site of the lesion? This is the likely result, especially if you didn't receive any steroids to reduce swelling of the cord.

At two months post there is certainly the possibility of some return (a full recovery, I'm afraid, is not very likely) but an MRI would probably be the most predictive of how badly (or not) your cord was damaged.

I'm so sorry this happened, but since it did I'm glad that you've found this community. I can't add anything to Stephen's wise counsel, but please accept my best wishes and support for your journey.

they gave me major amounts of steroids just right after surgery does this help??

Quote Originally Posted by oakleaf41 View Post
    they gave me major amounts of steroids just right after surgery does this help??
    Your injury is so fresh that you may possibly still be in spinal shock. That you received steroids after surgery doesn't indicate the time line of the onset of your paralysis to the time you were operated on and received steroids. Someone far more expert than I, presumably with access to your hospital and OR records, would have to weigh in on that. But ultimately, the best and most telling measure is your current status.

After my surgery -- back in the dark ages before steroids were routinely administered -- my doctor reported to me that my cord looked and was pulsating normally. However, when I got an MRI about a year later (there were only a handful of them in the country at the time), the lesion site had turned black on imaging; that is, a syrinx (fluid filled cyst) had formed and, of course, remains.

I think you should get an MRI so that you can intelligently assess and discuss the extent of the lesion. I also think you should get an MRI every few years to rule out the presence of any other hemangiomas. Congenital anomalies such as yours can, theoretically, occur in multiple locations. This is what was explained and advised to me and I've followed this protocol over the years. Thankfully, no other brain or spinal cord arteriomalformations have been observed and I'm approaching 3 decades post injury.

im scheduled to have an MRI in december, if theres no systs or spots that a good chance of SOME recovery?