Thread: what are the possibilities with a pull up bar?

what are the possibilities with a pull up bar?

A friend is making / installing 2 posts with a pull up bar at a level that I can reach. My chair will fit between the posts. My first idea was / is to use the bar to practice pulling myself up / forward and then slowly practice standing. I should easily be able to install exercise bands for other exercises too. I see a lot of potential in this simple yet secure exercise base.

Please give me your ideas of how this can be used to improve physical ability.

Thank you,
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by abacoian View Post
    A friend is making / installing 2 posts with a pull up bar at a level that I can reach. My chair will fit between the posts. My first idea was / is to use the bar to practice pulling myself up / forward and then slowly practice standing. I should easily be able to install exercise bands for other exercises too. I see a lot of potential in this simple yet secure exercise base.

Please give me your ideas of how this can be used to improve physical ability.

Thank you,
    Ian
    It would be even better if you could have the bar height adjustable to give you more options. Depending on your level and capability then there are so many exercises to be done:

with bar at about 50cm from floor:

High-kneeling (if you have half decent hip strength and balance)
    Sit to kneel

with bar at 1m or higher:

Sit to stand exercises (if you are able to lock your knees out independently)

You could also use the bar as a gantry and make yourself some slings (rope, springs, hooks) for your legs for various range of motion exercises like hip adduction, abduction, flexion and extension whilst you are lying down under the frame.

And of course, you could do some chin-ups (wide-grip, close-grip) to strengthen those lats and bis.

Do it!

Ian,
    I do pullups regularly. I have an eight foot high bar on my cable machine. I have attached a ladder rope to the top and climb up to the top bar. Works great. If you send me your email, I will send you a picture. I have to send the picture direct and can't cut and paste it for some reason. Good luck. You will get strong fast.

My personal email is joemonte@nep.net.

Thank you for the encouragment guys. My friend is going to install it Friday. To start the bar will just be at one level. As I figure out more he will adapt / adjust it. My right hand can grasp, my left hand / arm is tight and weaker but he is going to put a rope on the left side for me to grasp and pull / push up on as well. I am thinking / hopeing that if I can pull my self up with my arm strength that I can practice sit to stand as well.

All ideas greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Ian

My left arm / shoulder is really tight and limited and I'm wondering if securingg it to the bar and slowly moving my chair backward would be an effective way to stretch it?