Thread: Misuse of handicapped parking placards is widespread

Misuse of handicapped parking placards is widespread

The lack of enforcement has led to the rise of handicapped-parking vigilantes. At one Web site, self-appointed enforcers can even order special blue Post-it notes to leave on violators' cars that read: "You've been reported at HandicappedFraud.org."

Mike and Maureen Birdsall, web designers in Lafayette, Calif., started the site four years ago after Maureen became frustrated over not being able to find parking for her brother, who has cerebral palsy, and her grandfather, who was suffering from macular degeneration and dementia. Mike Birdsall said the site gets about 5,000 hits a month; about 50 reports of handicapped-parking misdeeds are posted each week.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...T2010091905153

what happens then

After the offenders are reported on the site what happens next? Is there anything that can be done?
    I would love to see repeat offenders get more than just fined.

Here is the mission statement of HandicappedFraud.org:
    " Handicappedfraud.org was launched as a community service effort to end the misuse of handicapped parking spaces and placards. The disabled have run out of places to park, as their designated handicapped parking spaces are being taken by fraudulent individuals. Our cities are being robbed of serious metered parking revenue to to this abuse as well. The police are far too valuable and busy to stake out parking lots to ticket handicapped parking violators. The abusers go largely unpunished. It's time for our community to become the ambassadors for our cities, and report handicapped parking violators when they see it.

Handicapped Parking Fraud. We are Making a Difference!
    I have received many questions about "who is looking", and "what is happening" with our handidapped parking posts? I'll admit it's not a fast process to assist and improve a government system that's been overburdened and difficult to enforce for so many years. But I am happy to say that the police at the San Francisco Investigative Team of DMV are taking notice, and using our information.

They also noted that there has been noticeably LESS handicapped parking abuse in the San Francisco area since our coverage in October. They feel people are changing bad habits, and there are more open spaces for legitimate placard holders. This is excellent news. Our next stop is a meeting in Sacramento, where we can make a larger impact. They have also been fielding calls from multiple counties and police departments wanting more information about handicapped parking. They were especially supportive of our "non-confrontational" message, and our recognition that disabilities come in all forms.

We will also be adding (for California reports) an optional form that will be sent directly to the investigation team, which will allow "non-anonymous" posts, which can be prosecuted.

Thank you for your continued support. Last months article in AARP spawned over 1,000 new registered users, and we are currently working with another National Organization to get the word out. We also received over 500 clicks donating free mammograms from our main page. If you haven't clicked on it - please do. Do it every day - it's one of many banners we've donated to try and assist fabulous causes.

Please Report Respectfully
    Please report handicapped parking violators respectfully. Remember that we can not know somebody's personal situation. Many handicapped people are hassled over their lack of a visual disability by well meaning citizens. Posting your handicapped parking violator report will allow the DMV to do their job, and keep you out of a personal confrontation. We have received hundreds of emails from handicapped individuals applauding this effort, and want to continue to serve them and our communities in a peaceful and positive way."

Their purpose is to educate and raise awareness of this problem. There is an "app" for your smart phones to make reporting easier. Hopefully they will add photos to the site.

In my community in the San Francisco Bay area, we have a couple of patrol cars driven by volunteers who roam the town looking for violations in parking lots and on public streets. They have the authorization from our police to issue tickets that carry $250+ fines for Handicapped Parking violators.

GJ

I want some of the blue post-its!
    Ugh, I've been kissed by a dog!
    Get some hot water, get some iodine ...
    -- Lucy VanPelt

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsLucy View Post
    I want some of the blue post-its!
    I want some only if they have to be applied with hammer.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

years ago you could get stickers that said something to the effect of "thanks for taking a hc spot asshole" but they were practically impossible to remove

that's what i want

Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    years ago you could get stickers that said something to the effect of "thanks for taking a hc spot asshole" but they were practically impossible to remove....that's what i want
    Impossible to remove stickers and stickers "applied with a hammer," could get you in trouble for malicious vandalism. I feel your attitude and frustration, but ust saying....

GJ