Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discussion for those with weak/no grip strength or no finger/hand function

Discussion for those with weak/no grip strength or no finger/hand function

I’d like to start an equipment discussion for people with any type of disability that affects a person’s grip strength and hand/finger movement. More specifically, what equipment or techniques do you use to drink beverages? I’d like to share what works for me and to learn about what works for other people.

I am 12 years post injury. I am a C5-6 complete quadriplegic from a spinal cord injury from a diving accident. I have no grip strength, no finger or hand movement and my fingers are in a closed/fisted position. I spent years trying out different types of equipment and different techniques for drinking beverages.

I dislike using straws all of the time, so I use a cool simple product called the
    uDrink. It is a unique handle with a strap that can go around any time of cup, can, glass or bottle. A friend of mine helped develop the uDrink so it could help me and others with disabilities affecting their hands. You can find out more about the uDrink here: http://www.u-adapt.com/udrink.html

Please write about what equipment you use, or what techniques that you’ve found helpful. I think this topic could help a lot of people.

Hi uAdapt,
    I am a c6/7 complete quad. When I was in rehab the physical therapists ranged my hands to take advantage of the tenodesis effects related to the movements of my wrist. Using the movement of my wrist to grasp, I have enough tension to hold a 12 ounce can or a glass, but I am most comfortable either using a stemmed glass like a wine glass that rests in the tenodesis grasp or a plastic cup with a large loop handle that I can put my hand through and support the cup much like the uDrink device allows you to pick up a bottle.

All the best.
    GJ

video of how it works would be nice
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Hi Mac,
    I assume you are asking me for a tenodesis video, not asking uAdapt about the uDrink. I couldn't find a video on line, but there are a couple of websites that talk about it.
    Here is one: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1286712-media
    Scroll down to Media File 2 and enlarge the image. The tenodesis effect refers to the length-tension relationship between writst position and the extrinsic flexors of the fingers. Wrist extension increases the passive tension of the flexor tendons and thereby passively causes finger flexion and increases flexion strength. Wrist flexion has the opposite effect and allows the fingers to passively extend.
    Do a search of this website using the word "tenodesis." You will find several references and discussions.
    There is a surgery that enhances natural tenodisis. I didn't have the surgery, my tenodisis is the result of the way the OTs and PTs ranged my hands and the natural contracture of the hand after injury.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

All the best,
    GJ

gjnl,

I can use tenodesis to help me hold some things - similar to you, it works best on a wine glass with a stem, or on something with a handle. I tend to drop anything that is too heavy, slippery, or awkwardly shaped.... Thanks for joining in.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    Hi Mac,
    I assume you are asking me for a tenodesis video, not asking uAdapt about the uDrink. I couldn't find a video on line, but there are a couple of websites that talk about it.
    Here is one: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1286712-media
    Scroll down to Media File 2 and enlarge the image. The tenodesis effect refers to the length-tension relationship between writst position and the extrinsic flexors of the fingers. Wrist extension increases the passive tension of the flexor tendons and thereby passively causes finger flexion and increases flexion strength. Wrist flexion has the opposite effect and allows the fingers to passively extend.
    Do a search of this website using the word "tenodesis." You will find several references and discussions.
    There is a surgery that enhances natural tenodisis. I didn't have the surgery, my tenodisis is the result of the way the OTs and PTs ranged my hands and the natural contracture of the hand after injury.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

All the best,
    GJ
    I meant a video of how a quad my level could use the uDrink or drink a beer using the device, sorry for the confusion.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Quote Originally Posted by uAdapt View Post
    Please write about what equipment you use, or what techniques that you’ve found helpful. I think this topic could help a lot of people.
    I prefer 2 handed method. Stuff like this slips off my hand too easily. Say hi to Jen for me!
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

c5/c6 quad for 3+ years. never had any problems with drinking. if the glass or mug is too heavy i use both hands. the udrink looks pretty cool, but its kinda troublesome to bring it everywhere u go n asking someone to strap it on ur glass/mug for you isnt it?
    I've got 99 problems but the wheelchair ain't 1

hi. am c7 with contracted fingers. i use plastic, acrylic or glass mug glasses to drink from. just loop my thumb around top of handle. square type ones the best. i can also loop my fingers (using thumb from other hand) around a can or bottle.

24 yrs post, quit using that adaptive stuff yrs ago. learned my contracted fingers work just fine. note i do have most of my wrist function which i'm sure helps.

i know nothing about this website or company, but here is a pic of my drinking mugs. thought mine were rubbermaid, but dunno offhand. notice the square handle. lots have rounded ones, which i can use, but these are better.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/..._Beer_Mug.html
    Last edited by cass; 09-26-2010 at 10:30 PM.

C5/C6 with weak grip, little thumb function but good wrist movement. I try to get plastic drinking bottles that come with a loop or strap that I can hook my hand or finger across and lift up.
    C5-C6 ASIA C - October 15, 1984
    Tilite ZRA Series 2
    The DIGITAL AWAKENING
    Living One Day At A Time
    www.petertan.com/blog/