Thread: SCI Nurse(s) Question about CSM please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SCI Nurse(s) Question about CSM please

I was wondering if one of he SCI nurses might know the answer to my question. I had decompression surgery 9 1/2 months ago now from CSM and i have not gotten all return motor function in my legs. As Ive stated in my previous posts I am upright and walking better thanks due alot to PT quite frankly, I limp and sort of walk a little like a robot , but am getting an AFO to help with partial foot drop which i hope in turn can help my limp. I cannot walk long distances, stand too long (although these things seem to be improving albeit at a snail's pace). I dont stomp as much anymore.

But what I have not gotten any return on even after surgery is power in my legs, I try to run, 3 steps, I crumble, walk stairs if I have to I use a cane. I actually walk better with a cane, but its sooo slow.

Question: I try everyday at least 1x to run to see if there is any improvement there and while I realize there might never be, I was wondering could I be doing any harm to myself by trying to run and use muscles that just aren't working as they should. I dont want to do anything to make the situation worse. Also I have this continued fear that the return of function that I have made might somehow regress, I dont know why I feel this way but im always leary of this for some reason.

thanks for your response.

Sincerely,
    mary

You should discuss this with your PT. The major risk is falling and perhaps injuring yourself this way, or overstretching muscles or ligaments when attempting running or other activities or damaging joints that are unstable due to muscle weakness or paralysis.

(KLD)