Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Handicap parking ?

Handicap parking ?

I took my daughter to Cleveland Institute of Music, CIM, to talk to a new instructor and she had a rehearsal with the youth orchestra for one hour. I parked in the "circle's handicap parking" in front of CIM. Afterward when we were done with the talk of the new instructor my daughter went back to start her rehearsal and I went to go read in my van. A while later CIM security came up to me and asked me, "I am waiting for someone?" I replied, "Yes, my daughter." CIM security asked me to move!

Wait a minute! I went inside CIM to talk to a instructor and went back in my van which I didn't turn it over to start and now I have to park in regular parking now? What if a medical emergency arose and I needed to get back into CIM?

This is near a fine line of handicap parking. Has anyone ever experience something like this? Normally if I have to drop off my wife and daughter I park in regular parking and wait in the van. This time I had to go in. When does my time expire in handicap parking?

Or, if I brought my book into CIM and read inside I am fine to stay in the parking spot?

I want to hear what you think of this?

Thanks!

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

I'd be pissed if I couldn't walk my daughter in because you were sitting there reading a book.
    Death and taxes

That's the same as taking a space while someone runs in the store in my opinion.

However I did it today. I parked in HC parking at my son's football game. I could see better from that spot than the bleachers so I stayed in my truck. It was on a hill and I could see down, while the bleachers have that dang rail right in front of my face.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    I took my daughter to Cleveland Institute of Music, CIM, to talk to a new instructor and she had a rehearsal with the youth orchestra for one hour. I parked in the "circle's handicap parking" in front of CIM. Afterward when we were done with the talk of the new instructor my daughter went back to start her rehearsal and I went to go read in my van. A while later CIM security came up to me and asked me, "I am waiting for someone?" I replied, "Yes, my daughter." CIM security asked me to move!

Wait a minute! I went inside CIM to talk to a instructor and went back in my van which I didn't turn it over to start and now I have to park in regular parking now? What if a medical emergency arose and I needed to get back into CIM?

This is near a fine line of handicap parking. Has anyone ever experience something like this? Normally if I have to drop off my wife and daughter I park in regular parking and wait in the van. This time I had to go in. When does my time expire in handicap parking?

Or, if I brought my book into CIM and read inside I am fine to stay in the parking spot?

Thanks!

Ti
    My gut says that the argument's in your favor, assuming you have the requisite license plates and placard, which I'm sure you do.

I don't recall ever coming across a stipulation here in New York that a disabled driver is not allowed to park in a handicap spot if they're sitting in their car. But there are 50 states and who know what quirks exist out there.

So, why not contact someone who can offer you the facts, not an opinion, specific to where you live? Then report back to us with your findings.

Contact the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles

Ohio Legal Rights Services for People With Disabilities

Quote Originally Posted by titanium4motion View Post
    [...]

Thanks!

Ti

If anyone else had to park in a normal spot that needed your spot, then it was a dick move. If there were plenty of other HC spots and you were just chilling, I say no worries.

I'm more of an "outcome" guy, when it comes to judging stuff like this. Not all right/wrong is consequential, but in this case I think it is. No harm, no foul.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

if the placard is for your daughter, move
    if the placard is for you, tell him to lick your nutsack

was the circle meant for "temporary" parking/drop off?

i don't understand why you were told to move.

I don't think you should have been asked to move. It was your choice to finish waiting indoors or out. Maybe I'd feel a bit more strongly about it if true violators were nabbed more often.

I'm curious, was there a big parking problem that day? Were people needing h/c parking having trouble finding a place to park?

Fine line...maybe....but...
    A situation where sensitivity and etiquette should rule over all...very probably.
    Drives me crazy when I go to my local lab (handicapped access van/power chair user) for a blood test and there is one handicapped parking space in the parking lot, and it is occupied by guy in a sedan sitting in the driver's seat and then I see him pull out of the handicapped parking space, pull up to the curb/steps/ramp provided for access in front of the building and pick up his passenger (no wheelchair, no cane, no walker). Couldn't he just as easily park in a regular parking space if he is going to pull up to the curb in front of the building to let his handicapped passenger in and out of the car.

Maybe with a limited number of handicapped parking spaces available and an ever increasing demand, we need to take a look at our needs vs others needs and show some courtesy when our needs are not primary.

All the best
    GJ